1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Eyelid Hair Loss

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by Bruledrift, Mar 15, 2021.

1. Bruledrift

Bruledrift Active Member

I need to pick your brains a little. I have a deer that had a damaged eyelid. It was very noticeable when dried and I want to fix it. I repaired with epoxy sculpt, but there is a bald spot and I want to do more to cover it up. What will give me the best outcome, the cotton ball trick? Has anyone tried felt? or is it better to scratch hairlines in the epoxy?

2. crablover

crablover Well-Known Member

Any paint you apply over epoxy sculpt will dry glossy. Not so with epoxy clay. I have used with great success fly tying dubbing. It comes in many colors and can be mixed for an exact match to the surrounding hair. It's cheap and readably available.

3. Bruledrift

Bruledrift Active Member

I have hated that with epoxy sculpt. Is there any disadvantages to using epoxy clay? Is it something you can get at a hobby lobby or something? hate to pay shipping on something small.

4. ARUsher

ARUsher Well-Known Member

You can find it on Amazon. Free shipping if you have a prime account.

5. Bruledrift

Bruledrift Active Member

LOL, Usher, I thought of that right after I sent the last reply. I do have a prime account.

6. Bruledrift

Bruledrift Active Member

Well, I did the cotton ball trick. Shaved the fibers down to blend in and so far it looks good. We will see how it looks after painting. Not sure how it will take the paint.

7. crablover

Painting cotton turns into a mess! You need to dye it before application. That is the reason I suggested fly tying dubbing. There are many types of dubbing, some synthetic, but most made from actual animal hair such as beaver, rabbit, muskrat, nutria and fox. It is the under fur without the guard hairs. None need any paint or dye and can be mixed together to match the colors you are blending on you mount. Muskrat and nutria dubbing are the choice for straighter hair replacement. Hope this help

8. Bruledrift

Bruledrift Active Member

Damn it!!!! Crablover that would be perfect and I have a bunch of rabbit dubbing for fly tying. I was trying to figure out something different than cotton balls and here I had it right there. I will have to try and scrape off the cotton and use the rabbit dubbing. Son of a B#$%%.

drob likes this.
  9. crablover

Brule, you might want to mix a darker dubbing with your rabbit. The rabbit dubbing is much lighter in color than from an animal that lives in water such as beaver, muskrat etc. It is waterproof as well unlike rabbit so it will not be saturated with your glue like rabbit and compress. Water bourn dubbing will give you some fluff, and can be trimmed to match the surrounding hair from your patch.

10. Bruledrift

Bruledrift Active Member

I tried the rabbit dubbing on a piece of scrap and yes, it did compress too much. I actually liked the way I got the cotton to sit better so I went with that. It worked good, can't tell it was damaged. I will have to look into the wet animal dubbing next time. I'm sure there will be, these larger bucks I get are always beat up somewhere, they need to settle down and quit fighting.