1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Epoxy Sculpt Etc

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by Frank E. Kotula, Mar 17, 2021.

1. Frank E. Kotula

Frank E. Kotula master, judge, instructor

Ok I’ve seen through the times here and other threads of folks painting over epoxy and I hear that they get a glossy look. It’s quite confusing for me to understand this being a half decent fish guy who goes through a lot of epoxy not seeing this I my application of epoxy and I’ve used all of them in my 20 plus yrs.
    Saying this doesn’t mean I haven’t seen it in other peoples work and wonder how this happens?
    I don’t need to mix it with anything, putting it on straight and then painting over it but I’ve learned how to insure this doesn’t happen to others by simply doing this adding any kind of dry pigment to your mix will stop any of that glossy look your getting. For the deer folks here using pan pastels or other dry pigments like sennelier etc in various of colors will aid you in making any color you like to even doing less painting.
    Hopefully this little step will help those looking to use epoxy and getting rid of that shine they end up with.

Richard C likes this.
  2. byrdman

byrdman Well-Known Member

light sandpapering....most do not sand epoxy after modeling

3. tomdes

tomdes Me my dear and Fall BAZZ!!!

I always sand it with 200 or 240 grit sandpaper..

4. joeym

joeym Old Murphey

All good tips! One thing I learned long ago was that paint will not cover bad Apoxie work...it actually accentuates the bad!

Frank E. Kotula likes this.