1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Canvasback Hen Neck Length

Discussion in 'Bird Taxidermy' started by goosehunter1733, Mar 19, 2021.

1. Lost my mind for a few minutes and heaved the hen neck out. Dah!! Need length of canvasback hen if someone can forgive my oversight

2. Lay the necking material over the back of the form. Start at the front, and cut ight about where the leg wires go in. That's a good starting point. Bfkre you glue the head in, taxi the skin fed and look at it. If it's a little long, cut it down. It certainly won't be short.
    Good luck! Hope this helps.

3. GotHonks

GotHonks Well-Known Member

For bird neck lengths ..... What I did back when I started out was , I had a couple ft long cheap wooden school rulers and I'd measure birds necks after I skinned them and Mark and write the species make on it ... Still have them after 25+ years ... And still use them for ones I can't remember ... Cans ..are 7" from what my ruler says could be off 1/4-1/2" .. I'm not a perfectionist so , close is good enough for me and seems to been working for me for over 25 yrs ... I can barely read the writing 20210319_212957.jpg

KLFL and bucksnort10 like this.
  4. crablover

crablover Well-Known Member

Geez Cowboy! what is wrong with you

5. Wildthings

Wildthings Well-Known Member

This ^^^^ It's exactly what I do but I use the spot where the thigh bone would go into the mannikin. (Hip)

6. Thanks for all your responses!! I'll keep this in my files. I don't get many canvasbacks.

7. crablover

crablover Well-Known Member

Cowboy, A Can's neck length is the same as one of your pickle slices, or should I say Cindy's pickle slices