1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

What Would You Do?

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by Jordan Park, Mar 21, 2021.

1. Jordan Park

Jordan Park Active Member

I just had a guy bring in a deer for a shoulder mount.
    He had it caped out and cut off halfway up the neck, so there is still this huge chunk of neck attached to head.
    Very normal I guess.

It’s been in his freezer like this since November. So frozen solid!

When I got it yesterday the face, ears, and armpits were thawed but the whole neck was frozen solid.

Today, 30 hours after I received it, it is still frozen solid so much that I cannot skin it out.
    I have skinned the face and all around the antler burs. But that neck!

Tomorrow morning I’m sure the neck will be thawed enough I can finish skinning it.

What would you guys do after I get it skinned, fleshed, eyes nose and lips split, and ears turned, throw it straight into the pickle to get it safe as possible or would you still go through the salting process before pickle?

There is also no rotten smell, so that’s a bonus!

I’m sure this is VERY normal for most you guys. But I usually get them fresh and not frozen for 4 months.

Thanks!!

2. Frank E. Kotula

Frank E. Kotula master, judge, instructor

I’ve gotten them in like that a lot. I still salt dry them till I’m ready to process it.
    If you want to rush it dont just throw it into a pickle but do at least a salt brine for 24 hrs to pull out blood and some non tanable fluids or salt for the 48 hr, hydrate it back and then .

Tanglewood Taxidermy likes this.

3. joeym

joeym Old Murphey

If you invert the cape over the neck, and place a fan blowing on it, the thaw process is greatly accelerated. Every few minutes you can open it a little more, and after a short while, the entire neck is exposed and can be removed. After caping, you can beam flesh the cape, proceed with salting, or simply re-freeze until you have time to deal with it.

4. Jordan Park

Jordan Park Active Member

Thank you Frank and Joey!

Frank E. Kotula likes this.