1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Indian Meal Moths

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by Mouse17, Mar 21, 2021.

1. Mouse17

Mouse17 New Member

I bought a vintage juvenile ostrich mount and while cleaning it up I found two larvae and one adult of what I think are Indian meal moth or common clothes moth. The mount is too big to freeze and I can’t use anything containing permethrin as I have cats. What product should I use to bag it with? I’ve heard mixed information on what will kill meal moths.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2021
  2. Frank E. Kotula

Frank E. Kotula master, judge, instructor

Take it outside, get a big bag like those used for Christmas trees and either bomb it or raid. That’ll kill them and should be safer for the cat.

3. Heath Cline

Heath Cline Well-Known Member

Ohio
    Just a FYI.
    I bug bomb my shop once per month and does not affect my cat that lives in my shop 24/7. And i set of 4 bombs at once spread throughout my shop.

4. Mouse17

Mouse17 New Member

Thanks. I couldn’t get a hold of a bug bomb so I ended up putting it in a garbage bag filled with mothballs

5. byrdman

byrdman Well-Known Member

use camfer blocks

6. BigPete

BigPete New Member

mothballs do not kill they only repel, and do not last forever.

7. Sea Wolf

Sea Wolf Well-Known Member

As above, mothballs will do nothing .. but make the mount smell like mothballs. Bug bombs are everywhere. Even grocery stores have them. Raid makes a really nice one that uses smoke generating cartridges. Hardware stores have them as well. If those things get loose in your house you will never get rid of them. They eat dry goods food, leather, carpeting, wool, fur .. you name it.

8. byrdman

byrdman Well-Known Member

phermone moth traps work great...and get plastic bins or tupperware for your dry goods... noodle flour cereal rice etc