1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

I Told You So.

Discussion in 'The Taxidermy Industry' started by George, Mar 22, 2021.

1. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

A few months back I warned taxidermists were about to suffer massive costs increases in epoxy and petroleum based products. A few geniuses pooh poohed the idea.
    Well, I hope the have a back up plan. Have you ordered any 2-part foam lately? Good luck. Several suppliers simply reporting not having any. One big supplier reported that they didn't have any and their supplier told the it would be 8 months before the backlogs were filled. They were informed there would be a minimum price increase of 30%.
    Guess a pretty lucrative investment would be in red rosin paper and paper mannequins.

2. Richard C

Richard C Well-Known Member

I said ,jokingly 6 months or so ago, when the mannikin and shipping costs went up that paper forms would make a come back. maybe I wasn't that far off.
    Seems that we are looking at a large increase in mannikin costs coupled with increase shipping costs. In addition a contractor told me yesterday that lumber costs have skyrocketed , that's the supply co's backboard and head block, panels and bases costs going up too. Then we have the dems $ 15.00 minimum wage increase.
    A deer head form and shipping will be $200.00 if we are lucky.
    Everyone is getting a raise except the taxidermist as "we can't get that price in our area".
    Everything we use is petroleum based resin ,epoxy ,foam, jaw sets, ear liners, a deer head needs to be $1500.00 dollars in todays world.
    I sold a truckload of paper mannikins about 8 or 9 years ago for short money. Talked to the old guy a while back and he said he used them all up.
    I guess i need to work on a how to video all about using a paper mannikin from proper cutting and fitting the backboard , head block, reinforcing the hanger area, proper nails to use, water proofing the mannikin, correct band saw and sabre saw to buy etc.
    That's if there is any guns or hunting after this administration is through with us ?
    They are even going after that lone republican that won by 6 votes in Iowa. Pelosi said lets knock her off. I guess the dems have targeted Iowa for conquest now.

msestak likes this.

3. 13 point

13 point Well-Known Member

I will quit Taxidermy before I go back to paper forms . Just placed an order from McKenzie for $3400 that I’m picking up to save on shipping as I have other things , I have to do in that direction kinda thing . I ordered foam on that order and she didn’t say it wasn’t in stock like a few other things , plus the stuff they don’t have in PA is going to be shipped to me from NC at no charge. As of now the catalog price is the cost ? So the increases might be next year .

msestak likes this.
  4. msestak

msestak Well-Known Member

if the prices keep climbing people wont be able to afford a lot of taxidermy, most likely start wanting euro mounts

James Marsico likes this.
  5. Richard C

I agree!

msestak likes this.
  6. joeym

joeym Old Murphey

I might just go with birds and fish only.

msestak likes this.
  7. Wally Gator

Wally Gator Well-Known Member

Don’t say that too loud...the liberals will be out to ban fishing hooks next.

8. Richard C

There’s no more ground nesting birds up here. Since they passed the leg hold trap ban the predator population has exploded and they eat all the ground nesting birds. Even the turkeys get hit. Three local hens brought up one chick last year. The Coyotes got them all. The only thing good about Coyotes is they eat city cats.

George, magicmick and msestak like this.
  9. joeym

joeym Old Murphey

Maybe I'll just get my Social Security and State Retirement check and just quit!!!

D.Price, magicmick and msestak like this.
  10. Dave York

Dave York Well-Known Member

I have a customer I talked to last week that manufactures cardboard box’s and foam containers. He said he can’t get the materials to make boxes and containers. This has created a domino affect for his customers. They now can’t ship products so they have a overstock of their products and they are laying people off.
    Something else I’ve noticed lately. Usually when I place an order with Research Mannakins I have it in three days. Now it’s taking over a week before they can even ship it. Simple things like bird bodies. I ordered a few dozen payer eyes and they were back ordered for two weeks.
    The tannery I use got really backed up with being forced to close because the state mandated it.

Oh and I mentioned to him about the two part foam that I had on my bench. He said oh yeah that’s made by so and so and told me exactly the industry name for it. He said hang on it’s going to be hard to get and expensive.

msestak likes this.
  11. Brian Reinertson

Brian Reinertson Well-Known Member

Iowa
    The “never was” told us so again.. nobody disagreed about prices going up. Smart business people in the industry will adjust and do just fine, good way of culling “taxidermists” who shouldn’t be doing this anyway. This too shall pass and the strong will survive. Can’t wait to hear the next reason from George why this industry doomed.

Carolin Brak-Dolny likes this.
  12. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

Brian, it's difficult enough warning intelligent people that they need to prepare but dealing with morons is damned near impossible. Perhaps I am a "Never Was" but I won't ever be a "Never will be" or a narcissist pretending to be something I'm not. You play with dead things and wear blood and guts like all of us. Our (YOUR) profession will never get mentions by high school career counselors, you won't be invited to the Governors mansion, you'll never live in a gated community, and the majority of this country thinks you're weird and should be watched around small children. You're nothing more than a fish in a very small pond trying to impress the masses of other small fish. Of you were to bundle all those fancy ribbons, plaques, and trophies up, you wouldn't make enough at a garage sale to buy a Big Mac. I've have NEVER said the industry was "dying". I HAVE said that using the modern supplies and the free videos available today, any semi-intelligent person can put up a shingle and say they're a "taxidermist." I've tried to emphasize that in order to survive, you have to adapt. How many "Euro's are you doing today versus 20/10/5 years ago? How many museums maintain a taxidermy staff today?
    I can't cure stupid so I appeal to those who aren't. This country is in a great state of Flux with a demented President planning on issuing an executive order gutting the Second Amendment which will make your clients scarcer. Now you can stick your head in the sand like a castrated rooster or you can adapt. You don't have to be Chicken Little to recognize the intent of Foxy Loxy.

13. msestak

68380259_10214071770338797_609054335694798848_n.jpg

tenor.gif

14. msestak

if its so readily available, share the source.

15. byrdman

byrdman Well-Known Member

you can buy the parts separate and create your own density by mixing ratios

16. FishArt

FishArt Well-Known Member

Who cares what it costs, my customer's pay for it anyway!!! Ha, sorry George, couldn't resist!!!

17. Glad I just received a block of carving foam from Rick Krane. I hang on to all the bits as well. Also have a few quart kits of foam on the shelf. Time to hit the old Interweb for sources.

18. they are out to ban lead sinkers.

19. James Marsico

James Marsico Well-Known Member

In my area Euro mounts are now extremely popular even for the largest bucks and bull elk. Last year I turned them all down and that was alot. I hate doing them and the only thing worse than doing them myself is wholesaleing them.

msestak likes this.
  20. James Marsico

James Marsico Well-Known Member

I just recieved a email from Research Manikins announcing a 7 percent surcharge on all orders effective immediately and explains the cost increase reasons. . Only taxidermists will be the ones not raising prises because taking in more work than you can turn out without making a decent profit at it spells "success" in taxidermy! ha ha ha ha