1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Longhorn Steer Horn Mount

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by mcking, Mar 23, 2021.

1. mcking

mcking Member

Hello everyone. I have a set of Longhorn horns to mount next. Its not a euro or shoulder..... Just the horns.... My only issue is i can't seem to find a horn skull plate form for it. Does anyone have any information they can give me on how to get these horns mounted up? Im more interested in just what to mount the skull plate and horns to. I didn't see anything for a Longhorn in Mckenzie or research. any info or direction would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

2. mcking

mcking Member

No ideas or suggestions? Ive been looking at many different pictures of steer horn mounts. But I was just wondering if anyone had any tips to get this done.

3. Mike Powell

Mike Powell Well-Known Member

I am having difficulty imaging what kind of mount you are attempting and understanding wether or not you have the skull plate or not. If you have the skull plate, attach horns with bondo and create a base out of the skull bone that can be wrapped with leather and attached to a plaque or made to hang by itself. If you do not have a skull plate, make a wood frame to attack the horns to, and follow the same process. Hope that helps.

4. mcking

mcking Member

Thanks for replying to my post. Yes it has the skull plate. I cut the skull plate off the skull and im working to get the horns off the core.... Im used to doing these horn/antler mounts with deer elk antelope. Never a steer..... I just wasn't sure if there was a foam form available somewhere for the skull plate similar to the ones available for deer and elk ( that give a oval shape or any other shape).