1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Whoops, Didn't Pin! Can I Get A Do-over?

Discussion in 'Lifesize Mammals' started by Kate Lacour, Mar 23, 2021.

1. Kate Lacour

Kate Lacour Member

I was happy with my first domestic cat, mounted this week (cast head, wrapped body, bondo ears). But of course I had to forget to pin the face. Naturally, it shrunk and dried funny, mainly around the eyes.

What's my best bet? I'm thinking soak just the head, sweat overnight, then pull into place and pin correctly? Is there a better way??? Thanks!

msestak likes this.
  2. 13 point

13 point Well-Known Member

Not sure why you say pin it . I use very little pins on any of my mounts . You don’t need pins you just need to use hide paste and baby sit it as it dries and make it dry slow , mist it , bag it and adjust it for a few days as it sets up . You pin things and then you have pin holes to deal with. It’s not a game of pin and forget it . You retuck and reshape the mount as it dries, so when it is dry it’s where it’s supposed to be

Westcoast, Kate Lacour and msestak like this.

3. Keith

Keith Well-Known Member

How did you preserve the skin?
    Did you use glue?

Like 13 point said, you shouldn't need to use pins on a mount. Usually the only times I use pins is when something isn't fitting right, and I am forcing the skin to stay in place.

Kate Lacour likes this.
  4. Kate Lacour

Kate Lacour Member

Lesson learned! Any thoughts on remediation here? The eyelids are the only real issue.

5. 13 point

13 point Well-Known Member

Wet it down to rehydrate is basically your only option

Keith, Kate Lacour and joeym like this.
  6. Mike Powell

Mike Powell Well-Known Member

Mist the eyelids with water, bag it and place in the fridge overnight. It should be hydrated enough to adjust the skin. Re-bag it to keep it from drying too fast. Check it every few hours and keep adjusting the eyes as it dries. Once it is dry enough to not move with your sculpting tool, leave the bag off and let it continue to dry completely.

Kate Lacour likes this.