1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Bird Washing Question

Discussion in 'Bird Taxidermy' started by AlpineValleyTaxidermy, Mar 24, 2021.

1. AlpineValleyTaxidermy

AlpineValleyTaxidermy Active Member

I am currently mounting a starling. And I am washing it right now. How many times should I wash it?

2. I wouldn't wash it unless its bloody.

3. AlpineValleyTaxidermy

Yeah I had gotten stuff all over the feathers

4. Give it a feather bath with laundry detergent...rinse it very clean. Then soak it (float it) in a bowl or sink of clean cold water about 15min. Then lightly wring it out over a bowl of clean water. If you see soap and/or blood or any other fluids on the surface of the clean water, wash it again. Rinse/soak/wring it again.

AlpineValleyTaxidermy likes this.
  5. AlpineValleyTaxidermy

Ok thanks

6. Welcome.
    Future ref- dont wash upland or small birds. Spot was the blood if you have any.
    Good luck

7. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

Why shouldn't you wash upland game birds?

8. Well, let me rephrase that. I don't wash them, because I have learned that it's not necessary.

9. Tanglewood Taxidermy

I'm not trying to be facetious, I just want to understand why it is unnecessary to wash them.

10. joeym

joeym Old Murphey

I'm not the expert here, but Nancy Crocker always recommended tumbling the skin in talc, to remove any blood and clean the plumage. Thin skinned birds tend to tear easily when the plumage is weighted down with water.

11. The answer above I totally agree with.
    There are several previous threads about wash vs not wash or tumble vs not to tumble or potato startch vs gas vs blow.dry whatever...lol...the list goes on and on. Wash them all of you want to. I wouldn't wash it unless it required it from blood, fat etc then I'd spot wash it and blow it dry.
    Cheers!

Tanglewood Taxidermy likes this.
  12. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Thank you.

13. byrdman

byrdman Well-Known Member

wash all birds!! you would be surprised how much dust,bugs, plant materials ,etc. come out of them....remember they bath in dust and dirt....not water like ducks, who wants all that dust and dander floating atound the house .

14. AlpineValleyTaxidermy

I agree byrdman. I actually believe I am particularly allergic to certain birds.

15. GotHonks

GotHonks Well-Known Member

A buddy and retired taxidermist came by one day while I was working on a few pheasants , I tossed them into a bucket of dawn and water and he flipped out ... Why are you washing those roosters " because I wash every bird I mount ... He was pretty adamant that I shouldn't be washing upland birds but I don't really care for my work I want the bird clean and not stinking ... I don't wash the tails of they're perfect but normally I wash all parts . Turkey fans too ... I Like clean ..

byrdman likes this.
  16. AlpineValleyTaxidermy

Yup. The blue eared pheasant I had mounted had to be washed. I mean, that thing was covered in dirt. The pheasant had been kept outside in a large “cage” if you want to call it that. But, there is dirt and mud all at the bottom and this pheasant clearly got it all over him.

17. Bryan

Bryan Member

I only try to avoid washing dove. Everything else gets washed.

Todd B and AlpineValleyTaxidermy like this.
  18. byrdman

doves and pigeons have “ bloom” which can cause sickness…best to wash them

19. Dark Man

Dark Man Well-Known Member

For my 2 cents here is my washing process with almost all birds.when you get into small stuff it differs somewhat,I don’t handle them as much.

once fleshed I coat with dawn then go over with a tooth brush/wire brush.
    Blast the skin with a quick once over of hot water,then I cool it down with cold.
    I rub dawn to the feathers by hand and soak in cold for a period of time.
    Wring it out from the cold,one more good dawn rub then wash til clean in warm water.
    Been using this process for years with no adverse effects to the skin/feathers.

20. byrdman

I prefer long overnight soak in dawn water.. very cold… then a rinse soak for at least an hour very little wringing or handling until done soaking then swab in rolled up towels… hate wringing and squeezing look for blood clots before final rinse