1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Did Something Really Stupid But It Turned Out O.k.

Discussion in 'Fish Taxidermy' started by Cecil, Mar 25, 2021.

1. Cecil

Cecil Well-Known Member

After 36 years in taxidermy I apparently threw a customer's skinned fish out. First time ever. The fish was a 42 inch northern pike.

I remove the head and fins on musky and pike, which makes skinning and fleshing much faster. The skin goes into a degreaser, and the head, which I hate skinning out, gets thrown into the freezer to be skinned or cast later, or a cast head purchased. Sometimes I use the real fins sometimes I don't.

Fast forward a few months later I go through the freezer and can't find the parts. Went through the freezer more than once and still no dice. I freaked. Apparently somehow the parts were mistaken for carcasses I throw into the same freezer and ended up at the landfill. I probably got in hurry and didn't label them. No excuse!

So what to do? I ordered a 42 inch blank and did a repro for the customer and was completely honest about my stupidity. Also gave him his deposit back. But coming clean was not something I looked forward too. I had no idea how the customer would react. Customer was surprisingly good about it and thanked me for being honest. I am so relieved!

So be careful and don't get sloppy putting things in the freezer! It can happen if you are swamped, tired, and get in a hurry.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2021
    D.Price, drob, Clew and 1 other person like this.
  2. Clew

Clew Help a child, Build our future

York, SC
    Yea I know
    I was going thru freezer one night ,pulled out what I needed closed up and went to house, then got a call to go out of state,
    Put the fish back in freezer. Two weeks later got back in town and layer fish out....... oh my
    The smell was terrible
    I laid a bass out (9 lb) when going thru frezer previously
    Yep
    Got in a hurry and left customer fish out
    Gave him a repo and told him the story
    He was grateful and appreciative to my honesty

lesson
    Don’t get in a hurry like me and Cecil
    And be honest

D.Price and Cecil like this.

3. joeym

joeym Old Murphey

I threw out a small alligator skull a few years ago. Fortunately, I had one in my showroom the same size.

Clew and Cecil like this.
  4. byrdman

byrdman Well-Known Member

dont use garbage bags! had a buddy took out a white timber wolf skin and a black coyote skin to thaw and flesh....his dad took out the trash....

Cecil and Clew like this.
  5. Cecil

Cecil Well-Known Member

:eek::eek::eek:

6. Cecil

Cecil Well-Known Member

Well yeah! That's obvious now! ;)

Clew likes this.