1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Demographics Survey

Discussion in 'The Taxidermy Industry' started by Clovis Point, Mar 26, 2021.

1. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

Cause you've been run hard and hung up wet too often.

Frank E. Kotula likes this.
  2. Bruledrift

Bruledrift Active Member

59, lol 100% Norwegian!!! Hobbyist Taxidermist, part time hopefully soon after retirement.

3. Dave York

Dave York Well-Known Member

I’m a product tester of recliners

socalmountainman likes this.
  4. joeym

joeym Old Murphey

There are some black taxidermists in the south. Ray Murphy from Mobile (my brother from another mother, LOL!), Charles Palmer from Jackson, MS, and Sanchez Thomas in Meridian, MS. These are three oldies. There are two young black men that do taxidermy, but I can't think of their names...one near Jackson, MS, and another at Taylorsville, MS.

Clovis Point and drob like this.
  5. drob

drob Well-Known Member

I wouldn't say that there are no blacks in taxidermy based on your survey - There is a lot of subject matter on this site that might keep them from stepping forward.JMO!

ARUsher likes this.
  6. joeym

joeym Old Murphey

Joseph Buckner is another black taxidermist in MS. He's on FB.

7. Whitelightnin

Whitelightnin Well-Known Member

Nothing racist about it. Taxidermy is just predominantly the white man’s game. Just like rapping is predominantly the black man’s game.

8. drob

drob Well-Known Member

Point proven

ARUsher likes this.
  9. Richard C

Richard C Well-Known Member

In the 70s at the Cleveland NTA show there was a black taxidermist from Ohio there,forgot his name. Anyone know who he was?
    in 50 years of taxidermy I have had only 4 black customers and one Jewish guy. I’m sure it’s a geographical thing. Had only one Spanish client, but there weren’t many Spanish around then. Now my Mexican neighbor and all his relatives hunt and he gave me the back-straps out of his first deer. I’m waiting for the ceviche!

Last edited: Apr 3, 2021
    drob likes this.
  10. joeym

joeym Old Murphey

I do work for black outdoorsmen all the time. Usually, when I receive a deer to mount, it's split all the way to the Adams apple. I saw off the antlers, toss the cape, and use the next decent cape that comes my way. It's a cultural thing...waste no meat. They gonna get that neck roast all the way to the skull. I often skin out fish and save the meat. It's just part of the culture. If you want the business, you learn to comply with the wishes of your clientele.

Clovis Point and ARUsher like this.
  11. Richard C

Richard C Well-Known Member

Recall still works, The Ohio black taxidermist was “ Art Ledger”.

12. ARUsher

ARUsher Well-Known Member

Have them start cutting on the back of the neck and solve both issues. They get to all of the neck roast and get to use their cape. Just my two cents.

joeym likes this.
  13. Blharvey43

Blharvey43 New Member

25, white female, hobbyist as of now hoping to start a business in the near future!