1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Deer Skull Degreasing

Discussion in 'Skulls and Skeletons' started by Derrick Bentley, Mar 27, 2021.

1. jfake

jfake Member

Hey Derrick, I get my ammonia from Sobeys. You should be able to find it there.

2. Derrick Bentley

Derrick Bentley New Member

Is it clear ammonia (not the yellow stuff) and what strength is it? I think the guys in the states have access to 10%

3. jfake

jfake Member

Its the yellow stuff. never had a problem.

4. Taylor Baker

Taylor Baker New Member

When you say you "brush on some 40 volume and basic white powder, then plastic wrap and let it sit for a day then put it in the over at 170f for 45 mins to get some heat to it", does this mean brush on 40 vol and white powder then plastic wrap for a day, then remove plastic wrap before applying heat?

5. Vulpes Vulpes

Vulpes Vulpes Active Member

MD
    The only local place where I can find 10% ammonia is Ace Hardware stores. Affiliates stores that sell Ace products may also have it in stock.

6. Sea Wolf

Sea Wolf Well-Known Member

Nope. Read up on what is called Paste method for whitening. Make a paste, slather it all over the skull, wrap with plastic wrap and get it into a warm/hot area for several hours to a day. 170 is much too hot and you are going to end up with cracked bone or teeth. Skip the oven and get a small, cheap heater. You can heat any type of small enclosure with one to 100 degrees or so and leave your wrapped heads in there. After they have whitened, you take them out, unwrap and rinse off completely in hot water. You can use a heat lamp but you have to get it the proper distance from the skulls and turn them frequently so they are evenly heated on all sides.