1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Interesting Read

Discussion in 'Tanning' started by qltycapes, Mar 28, 2021.

1. Frank E. Kotula

Frank E. Kotula master, judge, instructor

Yep here we go again scramble eggs as cyclone has written on what they do or can’t do per say. I won’t ever use them as it’s better to use the brains instead cause that’s the basis of the yoke acting like.

Johnnyclyde and George like this.

2. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

Kudos Frank. This is the hyped up world of "organic" ignorance. The silly assed implication that all tans consist of "dangerous chemicals" speaks to an agenda. Whe did any taxidermist use chrome tanned hides for mounting? And the silly assed "wheel of death". Only a moron would think like that. Can't cure stupid.

Johnnyclyde and Frank E. Kotula like this.
  3. livbucks

livbucks Well-Known Member

Hmmm. Alum Tan? How revolutionary!

George and Frank E. Kotula like this.
  4. cyclone

cyclone Posts: 400001

Why do you suppose that they didn't show any of the finished products in this story?
    So they're using eggs and olive oil to fatliquer..after an alum tan.

Frank E. Kotula likes this.
  5. Dave York

Dave York Well-Known Member

I’ve posted this before about tanning in France hundreds of years ago. I fella on TV was doing a documentary on this. Canal street in Paris used to be where the tanneries were located. It was one rank area since everything was dumped in the canal. One tannery is still there. They have open pits in the floor with boards covering the floor. France was noted for fine leather to make items like dress gloves for women. So this leads to how they pickled the hides. Boards were moved and they stirred the hides in the pickle solution. The guy doing the interview about passed out. The tanner said hand me the bag over and open it. Again he about lost it. He said what’s in there???? Dog manure the tanner said as he poured some in. I guess the enzymes in it does the trick.

Whoever thought of that. Maybe someone found a pile of wolf crap that had skin in it from something it ate and noticed a change in the skinchange in

6. qltycapes

qltycapes Active Member

It’s like the pigeon shit they have in vats in Turkey. Produces some of the finest leather. The laborers agitate it by by wading in it. You can just smell it on the TV. More than happy to stick with salt H2O formic and brush on

Frank E. Kotula likes this.