1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Black Skull After Beetling

Discussion in 'Skulls and Skeletons' started by Elkarcher, Mar 30, 2021.

1. Elkarcher

Elkarcher New Member

So just like the title reads. My skulls are coming out really dark or black after beetling? Some odd reason it's only the cow caribou and I'm not to sure what the heck is going on. I have soaked them and de greased them before I whiten them and still have issues. Any help would be great. Thanks Tim

2. Tnrandy

Tnrandy Member

what's your degreasing and whitening method? got any pics you can share?

3. Sea Wolf

Sea Wolf Well-Known Member

It sounds like blood built up in the head. Before you beetle, soak the heads for a couple of days in cold water. This will leach out a lot of blood pooled up in there. For the ones you have already cleaned, try soaking them for a couple of hours in a solution of Iron Out. If the stains go away, do not put them back into peroxide after. Let them dry.

Tnrandy likes this.
  4. Elkarcher

Elkarcher New Member

With bou I usually dont have to degrease. But I use a 5 gal bucket with a fish tank heater and dawn dish soap. It's only the cows that I'm having the issues. Cant post pics for somebody reason.

5. Elkarcher

Elkarcher New Member

I will try soaking them for a few days ok my next one. Blood is the only thing I could think off, just didnt know why it was there. But after my initial post I was able to find a few threads about it. Thanks

Tnrandy likes this.
  6. Im just starting to learn about using beetles for skulls. i need to learn all the steps involved bud piserchia new member

7. Elkarcher

Elkarcher New Member

Hey Bud, just start researching on this site, there are a million ways to beetle. I use them due to the fact you get the whole skull not 3/4's ignition with boiling and it looks way better. Get your colony started and start researching. Ask questions when you have issues. But the biggest thing is research. Everyone has their own way of doing it. Its when you run into trouble, this is the place to go.

Tim

8. Sea Wolf

Look above near the top of the page. You see the "SEARCH"? Hover your mouse over it, don't click, and then click on MORE from that drop down list. That will bring you to the Advanced Search. Play with that and try different search terms. On here they have been referred to as beetles and dermestids. Try cleaning skulls, bugging skulls, dermestid enclosure, keeping beetles ... many combinations are possible. You can also try just searching in the Skulls and Skeletons section to narrow the hits a little. Make a pot of coffee and start reading.

9. Elkarcher

Elkarcher New Member

So I am still getting big black spots on some of the skulls. After beetling is complete i soak the skull for 2 or 3 days and then whiten. I am trying to use less peroxide due to cost. I am trying the BW2 extra strength powder mixed with 27% peroxide. Coating the skulls very well and then wrapping in a black garbage bag. And sealing the bag tightly with tape letting them sit for 24-48 hrs and I Still have black spots. Not really sure what the heck I am doing wrong. Any help would be great. Do I need to out them under a heat lamp or something?

10. Sea Wolf

Not degreasing the skulls might be part of the problem. The black areas still sound like blood stains. The heads have to be soaked in cold water before beetling to leach out the blood before it dries and sets up in the skull. Soaking for only a couple of days might not be enough. After two days of soaking, are you still seeing a bloody tinge in the water? Pictures will help. Submerging in peroxide will also eat out a lot of what is remaining inside the skull. It isn't wasting it as it is good for many uses. You don't dump it out after one use. The paste method whitens the outside surface but that is all. Once you wrap it, yes, getting it into a heated area will make the combo work harder. A heat lamp will work too but keep turning the wrapped skull to expose all surfaces to the heat evenly.

11. Elkarcher

Elkarcher New Member

Sea Wolf, I haven't been soaking them before I put them in the Beetles but I will try that and see what happens. I dont dump the peroxide after one skull, I get 6 or 7 skulls done before the peroxide is used up, hopefully more with this stronger peroxide. If there is a bloody tinge to the water I let them soak longer and go from there. I will change up my tactics and hope my luck changes. Thanks

Last edited: May 4, 2021 at 12:04 PM
    Sea Wolf likes this.
  12. Sea Wolf

Not having things cooperate is frustrating.