1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Carrion Beetles???

Discussion in 'Skulls and Skeletons' started by AlpineValleyTaxidermy, Mar 30, 2021.

1. AlpineValleyTaxidermy

AlpineValleyTaxidermy Active Member

I was wondering... I had found a dead opossum yesterday and saw some carrion beetles crawling on him. I got some skulls I would like to clean off. I would assume that they could clean the skulls off for me. Do they work as good beetles to keep for skull cleaning?

2. I have never tried using wild beetles or bugs to clean skulls, but from what I've heard/read, they don't do as good a job as dermestid beetles and they may not even completely clean the bones.

Unless you want to work with dermestids, you would do better by macerating skulls.

3. AlpineValleyTaxidermy

AlpineValleyTaxidermy Active Member

I wouldn’t mind cleaning the bones off further after they have cleaned whatever they cleaned off. Actually I have cleaned a young raccoon skull just with the hose, peroxide, and my hands. Yet I have figured I could use beetles to clean it since I like how nature cleaned skulls look.

4. Sea Wolf

Sea Wolf Well-Known Member

Do you mean wild dermestids? Or are you referring to those orange critters? I would stay away from those if you are talking about the real carrion beetle. They work more along the lines of maggots on a rotting carcass. Dermestids show up later after the carcass has dried out and are a lot cleaner to work with.