1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Question About Fill Method

Discussion in 'Fish Taxidermy' started by slabbandit, Apr 1, 2021.

1. slabbandit

slabbandit Active Member

I've found that I like doing the half cast fill method on my panfish mounts over using a commercial form. I seem to get a better looking mount and don't lose too many scales on my crappie. My question is what do you half cast guys use underneath to make your casts curved?
    I've had fair success casting them flat and removing them and propping up the head and tail before my fill fully sets but my last one cracked the tail so i had to redo it.

2. Mudbat

Mudbat Well-Known Member

I carve all my own panfish bodies/ or custom cast the fish, but I’m guessing they just set them in a patty of plaster or someone similar and move the to the desired shape from there.

3. Cecil

Cecil Well-Known Member

You can do it like Tom Sexton did in the Fish Breakthrough manual (where I learned to do the half cast method). Lay you fish over a plastic bag filled with sawdust making it curve over the bag. Then pour you plaster on top.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2021
    Todd B likes this.
  4. slabbandit

slabbandit Active Member

I have a large piece of that rubbery closed cell foam about 3" thick. It carves like a dream so I think I'm going to try to make a contour pillow out of it to pour my plaster over. I'll put a piece of plastic sheet over it before pouring plaster.

Cecil and Todd B like this.
  5. Cecil

Cecil Well-Known Member

How did it work out? I carved a piece of rigid foam to lay the fish on in a nice curve and ended up with a very flat fish on the show side.

6. slabbandit

slabbandit Active Member

I haven't tried it yet but am fixing to. Got a big, fat, 3 lb crappie to do. Yea, I'll have to be careful not to flatten the show side for sure.