1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Perfect Mount To Work On Easter Weekend

Discussion in 'Lifesize Mammals' started by Kostyniuk-outdoors, Apr 3, 2021.

1. Kostyniuk-outdoors

Kostyniuk-outdoors Alberta free and proud

A trapper I'm friends with had a stillborn baby porcupine and a large leucistic gopher in his freezer. When he got his hands on 2 more small unique gophers, (1 leucistic and 1 kinda piebald looking) he told me he kinda wanted them all put together as one piece. I mentioned that I'm learning taxidermy and so he told me to do whatever I wanted as long as they were all together and on a wall hung base incorporating a euro mount he had.

I decided to create a "spring" themed piece and spent a couple weeks planning the composition and creating a wall hung base.

My first time working on something this small without a form. Did the porcupine last Sunday and then today I added the large gopher. Next will be the 2 small gophers but already this is becoming the most unique and "artistic" peice I've attempted.

I don't know much about art composition but from a photographer friend I've learned that opposing triangles and a rule of three generally look good so that's what I tried to accomplish with the skull, flowers, and shape of base. Then I positioned the first 2 animals in a way that forms a gentle S curve running through them from tail tip to tail tip. Will update afterwards once last 2 gophers are added. 20210402_164139.jpg 20210402_164223.jpg 20210402_164156.jpg 20210402_164208.jpg

Keith and Lance.G like this.
  2. 13 point

13 point Well-Known Member

Pretty cool , a lot going on there , and your adding 2 more critters. Be carful could be over doing it a tad . Looks good now

Keith likes this.

3. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

I agree with 13 point. This is a great composition as is.