1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Marlin Mishap

Discussion in 'Fish Taxidermy' started by sunpadre, Apr 5, 2021 at 6:32 PM.

1. sunpadre

sunpadre New Member

Hello,

I'm not a taxidermist but an angler and was moving my marlin mount to a different location and it decided to "jump" onto a shovel handle. It gouged a hole into the bottom and I'd like to repair it myself. Is the proper technique to fill the hole with Apoxie Sculpt or similar putty material, shape it, and then paint it to match the body? Luckily the hole is lower on the body on a solid color area.

Thanks in advance

2. 13 point

13 point Well-Known Member

This is like asking a mechanic how to fix your car lol.

Mudbat likes this.

3. Clew

Clew Help a child, Build our future

York, SC
    Fix it yourself with apoxie sculpt
    Will look like crap
    Then pay one of us and the cost doubled from the screw up you made
    Up front costs will be significantly less then after you try to fix it

4. Mandi

Mandi Active Member

Do not try to do it yourself. You may think that patch job going to be easy but it won't. Take it to someone who does fish replicas.

Clew likes this.
  5. sunpadre

sunpadre New Member

Thanks for the advise, I'll give this some more thought before attempting on my own.

6. Frank E. Kotula

Frank E. Kotula master, judge, instructor

All these guys are afraid you just might be able to pull the job off. Go for it but I did try brain surgery once on my wife took her to the real surgeon to have her looked at. I was told there was no hope she’ll be a b.,,, the rest of her married life to me. Guess I didn’t to such a great job.

7. crablover

crablover Well-Known Member

If it is an older mount it was most likely done by Pflueger or Reese in Florida. If that is the case which I believe it is, the body is burlap and plaster. It would not gouge if it was fiberglass. Most likely, the plaster inside has also been cracked that you can not see, and will leave a soft spot around the gouge on the inside. Epoxy Sculpt is not the material to use. You need to make sure, that the plaster is wet both outside and inside.s an older mount it was most likely done by Pflueger or Reese in Florida. If that is the case which I believe it is, the body is burlap and plaster. It would not gouge if it was fiberglass. Most likely, the plaster inside has also been cracked that you can not see, and will leave a soft spot around the gouge on the inside. Epoxy Sculpt is not the material to use. You need to make sure, that the plaster is wet both outside and inside, as wet plaster will not bond with dry plaster. Slow down the plaster set up time by adding baking soda or vinegar and make a wet slurry. Take a large turkey baster and fill with either #1 molding plaster, denta-stone or hydracal and poke it through to fill the WET inside around the damage. Let this fully cure and then blend the effected area on the outside. Once this is dry, you can sand to blend the repair. I would put a coat of sanding sealer over that area, let dry and then prime for color matching. Be aware, if it is an older mount, the paint is most likely enamel and lacquer and enamel don't play well together. So, I would use water based paint to do your color matching. Hope this helps and good luck!

8. sunpadre

sunpadre New Member

I really appreciate all of the great info everyone has given me so far.

I'm not the original owner so don't know the age of this mount, but I just took a look at one of paint/body chips that broke off and the back of it appears to be fiberglass. I'm taking this small chip around town to try and match paint color with today.

There's also some more small stuff that needs attention too on this mount but that'll come later.

Thanks again!

Last edited: Apr 6, 2021 at 4:31 PM
  9. Clew

Clew Help a child, Build our future

York, SC
    Show a pic of this critter

10. crablover

Sun, if it is a glass mount, that is far easier to fix than a plaster mount. You can tap on the middle body and you should be able to tell the difference. If it is glass, base the repair with Bondo, sand to blend, then finish over that with lacquer putty and fine sand again blending the repair area to the existing surface of the blank. Prime, steel wool the primer and you are ready for paint touch up. As I stated, enamel and lacquer paint will cause you issues if you use one over the other. Be aware of that if you clear coat as well. Hope this helps, and good luck

sunpadre and Clew like this.
  11. crablover

Sun, make sure you lightly sand the bondo and lacquer putty as they have wax that will rise to the surface and effect your primer paint adhesion. Per your note, the feelers can be cut from house flashing material and use 60 second two part clear epoxy for attachment. Also, glad you found a water based paint to match the repair area. Good luck and let us know how it all works out

sunpadre likes this.
  12. sunpadre

sunpadre New Member

Thanks Crab for your advise. I now have all the components needed to do the repair. Thanks also for the feelers advise. I think those really will add to the mount once I get them in place as well. I'll put up some before and after pictures once I get the patch job done.

13. crablover

Sun, glad I could be of help to you. A note on the feeler's. They fit into a slot in the belly which most likely is not there. The base of the feeler's where they connect to the body should be between 3/8 to 1/2" and the length 16" tapering to a point. The body connection should be spaced 1/2" apart, side by side. If the dorsal is fully opened, the feeler's should be set 90 degrees to the body spreading wider at the tips, and painted flat black. Nearly 100% of Marlin mounts have feeler's set incorrectly. Would love to see before and after pix when all is repaired as you noted. Good luck, and glad to be of help

sunpadre likes this.