1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Older Mount Alteration?

Discussion in 'Lifesize Mammals' started by camiller, Apr 6, 2021 at 1:15 PM.

1. camiller

camiller ...Live, Hunt, Preserve...

MI
    Okay, so I wanted to field some thoughts from those much more experienced than myself...

Years back I shot a nice blonde brown bear in Russia - had it tanned by Carolina Fur, and did a lifesize. My younger self did a slight left turn on the bear, which has plagued me ever since - the bear is too straight of a mount to put anywhere.

My thoughts were what would be involved in rehydrating enough to get more of a left turn out of the bear? McKenzie hide paste was used, but this was mounted back in 2004.

2. 13 point

13 point Well-Known Member

It will be a hit and miss kinda thing , meaning if tanned correctly like it ( probably was ) you could rehydrate and most likely be fine to remove and remount. That said if the hide isn’t done completely correctly you would be taking a chance of it maybe having acid rot and falling apart. Not at all saying that will happen, but very possible.

Keith likes this.

3. Keith

Keith Well-Known Member

I wouldn't. You mention Mckenzie hide paste, but they have several kinds, so it could be a pain getting the hide off the mannikin.

4. byrdman

byrdman Well-Known Member

fun project..wrap it up in wet towels and cover with plastic sheeting.... open stiches just enough to get a saw blade in and slice out a wedge.... turn wedge around and foam back in then close up seam...dont be scared just do it