1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Older Mount Alteration?

Discussion in 'Lifesize Mammals' started by camiller, Apr 6, 2021.

1. camiller

camiller ...Live, Hunt, Preserve...

MI
    Okay, so I wanted to field some thoughts from those much more experienced than myself...

Years back I shot a nice blonde brown bear in Russia - had it tanned by Carolina Fur, and did a lifesize. My younger self did a slight left turn on the bear, which has plagued me ever since - the bear is too straight of a mount to put anywhere.

My thoughts were what would be involved in rehydrating enough to get more of a left turn out of the bear? McKenzie hide paste was used, but this was mounted back in 2004.

2. 13 point

13 point Well-Known Member

It will be a hit and miss kinda thing , meaning if tanned correctly like it ( probably was ) you could rehydrate and most likely be fine to remove and remount. That said if the hide isn’t done completely correctly you would be taking a chance of it maybe having acid rot and falling apart. Not at all saying that will happen, but very possible.

Keith likes this.

3. Keith

Keith Well-Known Member

I wouldn't. You mention Mckenzie hide paste, but they have several kinds, so it could be a pain getting the hide off the mannikin.

4. byrdman

byrdman Well-Known Member

fun project..wrap it up in wet towels and cover with plastic sheeting.... open stiches just enough to get a saw blade in and slice out a wedge.... turn wedge around and foam back in then close up seam...dont be scared just do it

birddog1964 likes this.