1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Open-mouthed Euro

Discussion in 'Skulls and Skeletons' started by donpablo, Apr 8, 2021.

1. donpablo

donpablo New Member

So I was searching a couple weeks back for how best to make an open-mouthed Euro. I saw several suggestions for glue but I worried that I might not like the position of the jaw and have Hell changing it after gluing. So I did some brainstorming and came up with an idea. If I held the jaw in position and drilled through the skull and jaw where they connected with a 1/16" drill bit, I could use a 1/16 Allen wrench and maybe a little silicone to hold the jaw in place. If I didn't like how it came out, I could change the position and re-drill using the original holes in the skull so that the jaw would have a couple different sets of holes for different possible positions. This is what I have done so far. I used drill bits as I'm waiting on the cheap Allen wrenches I ordered from Amazon:

[​IMG]

I picked it up and held it from the skull portion and the jaw stayed. I haven't added silicone yet as I will do this with the Allen wrenches. I will likely paint the Allen wrenches white and cut them to the desired length so they are less noticeable.

[​IMG]

Since this was an experiment, I used an old javelina skull that I didn't take care of just in case. What do y'all think?

2. Sea Wolf

Sea Wolf Well-Known Member

The problem with that is that a huge amount of torque is being put on that one small spot to support the weight of the jaw. Drilling the holes has also weakened the bone there and given a greater chance of it failing. I would take some thin wire and support the front of the jaw by hanging it from an attachment point in the upper skull. Paint the wire black and it will not be noticeable. Have the wire tight enough that it is supporting the weight of the lower jaw and taking the load off the rear hinge.

Drilling through the joint at that point and securing with a loop of wire is commonly done but the rest of the jaw still has to be supported.