1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Turkey Mounting Video

Discussion in 'Bird Taxidermy' started by D265, Apr 9, 2021.

1. D265

D265 New Member

Howdy,

I'm looking for a recommendation for a turkey mounting video. I've done several upland birds and have a turkey coming up. Would prefer one with all the new techniques like removing the tail, etc.

2. 13 point

13 point Well-Known Member

Tim Jordan out of PA , I think breakthrough may sell it

if not try googling Tim Jordons bear den taxidermy.

Jim McNamara likes this.

3. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

Taxidermy Training Unlimited has a strutting turkey DVD by world champion Harry Whitehead, which covers all mounting from skinning to head painting, feet injection and painting.

A standing turkey DVD and flying turkey DVD from national champion Danny Owens, which uses artificial pre painted heads, painting and injecting the feet.

Strutting on a limb DVD and a gobbling DVD from Andy Campbell.

They also have skinning and fleshing DVDs for turkeys.

Matuska has a brand new DVD from Taxidermy University by Blake Reiminger using Shane Smith's turkey body. This one I haven't seen, but it is for a competition mount. It actually won a blue ribbon in the MO taxidermy competition. This will probably be the most updated one, as it is the newest, however, I don't know how beginner friendly it is.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2021
    magicmick likes this.
  4. socalmountainman

socalmountainman Northwestern School of Taxidermy - Class of '73

I think I own all the turkey DVD's out there. Every taxidermist has their own method and you learn from them all. If I had to choose one DVD to do my first turkey, I would pick Blake Reiminger's "Mounting a Competition Wild Turkey". No, he doesn't use a Shane Smith body, he is using Anthony Eddy's turkey bodies in the DVD but, I will tell you why I think Blake's is the best choice. He actually uses methods from other taxidermists and incorporates them into his own method. The leg-to-leg incision goes back 25 years. Removing the tails is probably that old too. Threading of the 3/16 straight rods that Blake uses I learned from Master Turkey Taxidermist Cally Morris almost 30 years ago from Breakthrough magazine. So, he has taken tried and true methods from other experts and put them into a very good training DVD. Having mounted hundreds of turkeys over the last 35 years, it is the most concise, IMO. It's kind of pricey at $100 but it is worth every penny. From skinning, mounting , finishing and grooming and a Bonus Turkey Reference DVD, it is a 3 disc set. Get it from Matuska or you can by it direct from their website: https://www.taxidermyuniversity.com...8uA5aVJeylOUtjo0EpHn9kCid8RhIP6aDulsCUzYIaHz0
    turkey dvds.jpg

pir^2h and Tanglewood Taxidermy like this.
  5. Tanglewood Taxidermy

That's odd. I was involved in a post on Shane's turkey bodies and was told that the turkey in the video was on a Shane Smith body. Since I haven't seen it, I was going by what I was told. Anyway, I like your post and am considering that DVD.

6. Tanglewood Taxidermy

I just went to Taxidermy University and watched the trailer. In the trailer he has a Shane Smith body attached to the limb in the background.

7. pir^2h

pir^2h Retrievers give you the bird

Hey Joe,

Does that video show you how to measure a turkey without the meat. I have three skins, no meat that I want to try mounting one day.

Anyone buy the course from the guys who run Taxidermy Insider? They have an online turkey course I thought about purchasing. I just don't like that it is only available online. I like to have the DVD. If you bought this course how is it?

8. socalmountainman

Yes I have. Aaron Stehling and his brother offer two courses online. The quality of the videos is such good quality that it is too large of a file to download so you have to view online. I was a member for 6-7 months since you have access to all of their videos for about $35 per month. I learned a few things from Aaron including his advice on buying a rechargeable chordless caulking gun (lol)! His video on grooming the turkey is by far the best I've seen but it is definitely for competition and not for my commercial birds. Joe

9. socalmountainman

You are correct. Over the course of the taping, several turkeys were used to produce the DVD. The section on attaching the legs and neck ARE using a Shane Smith body. I stand corrected. Joe :)

10. socalmountainman

I just PM'd you. Joe

11. Tanglewood Taxidermy

I purchased the Taxidermy Insider strut turkey online course. I feel that it is worth the price. I also do not like not having a physical copy. What if they go out of business? I was reluctant but believe it was worth it.