1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Repro King Salmon

Discussion in 'Fish Taxidermy' started by big J, Apr 9, 2021.

1. Just recieve a king salmon replica from a well known company, this replica has no scale detail what's so ever, I think they poured to many molds out of it, my question is I like to paint the each scale on it but you cant see any, would you just paint the body with an airbrush instead of hand tipping each scale which there isnt any or would you try and paint some in with a brush

2. crablover

crablover Well-Known Member

Big J, is the King you are going to replicate lake caught or a pre spawner river run fish? There is a big difference when it comes to color and scale detail

3. msestak

msestak Well-Known Member

send it back, you paid good money for a blank that isnt what you expected.

4. Frank E. Kotula

Frank E. Kotula master, judge, instructor

As stated in the two threads
    First question is what time of year is the fish caught in ?
    Second is does the fish you got represent the fish your doing.
    Spring through very early fall you’ll have scales but after that fat deposits come to play and you’ll have pits and very little scales to deal with. Make sure of this and then decide if it’s the company, you etc etc. If anything then call the company. I did the same width a barracuda. It was a fresh pour not even totally hard yet and they wrapped it and sent it. Lol nothing but wrapper marks and a totally shitty fish. Same thing big company sent it back!

msestak likes this.
  5. crablover

As I stated and backed up by Frank's reply, there is a huge difference between a lake run fish and a river spawner. Lake run fish will have very small scales that are appropriate for scale tipping. A fall river run pre spawner's scales turn into a thick protective skin with indented pockets along the back and above the lateral line with a very heavy coat of body slime. This is a normal change in the skin when they enter the river to reproduce. If it is a river run fish, then there really aren't any scales to tip and trying to scale tip would be inaccurate for this species phase. If that is the case, then the supplier molded one of the transition choices and you should have requested that when ordering. Suppliers should give better descriptions for species that go through anatomical changes like Salmon and certain Trout. Large river run Brown Trout always have many deep pockets on the back, that is often blamed as the molder's fault as a bad blank, when it is not. The taxidermist should know those difference's and ask for those details at the time of order. Even some of the best blank suppliers send inaccurate parts. Case in point are Sailfish blanks that always come with Marlin feeler's. With that said, if this King is a river run fish, then there is no scale tipping that needs to be done

Frank E. Kotula and msestak like this.
  6. It was caught in july from Lake Michigan, a real chromie the thing is I already order one from the company and it had a big kipe on it, so I sent it back and cost me $60 for shipping and he replaced it with a king without the kipe not going to send it back for shipping is hard for me to eat, I dont do alot of replicas maybe 4 a year compared to skin mounts, but usually LCR has good detail and it takes 3 months to get one from them so iam trying to work with this one, and I know the difference between the ones in the spring and fall comming in the river there not that bad to do a skin mount o them.

7. crablover

Big J, if it had a big Kype, then the blank was from a river run fish. Great Lakes salmon and Brown Trout develop that during the spawning transition. Rainbow and Steelhead can have some kype development even before the spring spawn prior to entering the river since they don't spawn and die like King's and large Brown trout. It is fairly easy to add or remove the kype if needed. I can see your issue with a lake bound king's scales if your blank is a river run fish. Scale tipping surely would cause issues on a blank in the fall phase.

8. jimss

jimss Active Member

It's possible to sculpt a kype with Apoxie Sculpt to the exact specs you desire. I add kypes to brown trout and salmon all the time to match photos of particular males with hooked jaws. I also add a lot of detail to heads, fins, tails, etc that aren't present on repros! You would be amazed what you can do with Apoxie Sculpt!

msestak likes this.
  9. jimss

jimss Active Member

Forgot to mention that it’s possible to scale tip even though scales aren’t present. Salmon usually have tiny scales so you barely see them but look fantastic if you put in the time and tip them.

10. Frank E. Kotula

Frank E. Kotula master, judge, instructor

If you seen my barracuda I shown in Ricks month fish that had practically no scales . I painted it dark grey and hand painted them in like this

Attached Files:

Mudbat likes this.