1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

First Smallmouth Bass Repro

Discussion in 'Fish Taxidermy' started by yote20, Apr 12, 2021.

1. yote20

yote20 New Member

Hey guys! This is my first paint job on a fish. Any pointers and critiques would be appreciated. I still have to clean the eye and attach fins. As well as repair spiny dorsal. Tips would be appreciated on how to do that as well. Thanks in advance. 20210412_205209.jpg

John C and msestak like this.
  2. Mudbat

Mudbat Well-Known Member

First tip. Start with a good blank.

msestak likes this.

3. Clew

Clew Help a child, Build our future

York, SC
    Most some thinned down white on the sliver areas of body and lower jaw, real thin lightly mist
    But for a first looks good,
    Get some reference and look at colors in each scale, they are not monochrome, multiple colors pending on where they are

msestak likes this.
  4. If that is your first fish.....bad blank or not, you did well. Just look at your reference pictures of your specimen.

msestak likes this.
  5. Mudbat

Mudbat Well-Known Member

Ill add that paint critiques are tricky as fish can look totally different color wise even from the exact same body of water.

msestak likes this.
  6. 1fish2fish

1fish2fish Well-Known Member

First off, congrats on jumping in.

SMB is a great fish to learn.

Right off, I recommend sharing your specific reference so critique can be focused and more useful. Also, the eye should be cleaned before posting, as it is essential to how a viewer observes the mount.

So...

Generally, I find the body color scheme pleasing, though I don't particularly love the scheme of the belly. It looks to me you may have seen a video that uses a silver base. If so, I recommend against that. Although it may match your reference, most smb carry their body color lower so that might be something to watch as well. Many SMB have a defined white marking on the gill flap too that may be present in your reference.

Overall, I would say you should consider how you can add more depth and variety and you should be paying attention to what produces soft and hard edges so you can employ those techniques where appropriate on future projects according to reference.

There are a few things that would clean the blank up too, though I find it pretty serviceable. The easiest of them would be to introduce more separation between the soft dorsal fin and the body. Next, would be to give the edge of the caudal a very-very slight V. The angle of the anal fin isn't my preference, but altering that might be too much to take on. Minor shaping, however, could improve the "look" and you could consider that too.

Best of luck.

Mudbat and msestak like this.
  7. yote20

yote20 New Member

Thanks for the replies everyone. I did not use any reference photos. I just followed along with Rick Kranes Smallmouth video. I appreciate the tips. I'm going to redo it and keep practicing.