1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Polyurethane Foam

Discussion in 'Habitat and Exhibit' started by endeavor, Apr 12, 2021.

1. First time gonna try working with 2 part polyurethane foam 2# density. Not sure of the amount I need to mix and pour for a simple, habitat base. Dimensions of base are roughly 24" x 8", looking for about 2" thick or less. Anyone have a suggestion on how much I may need? I was thinking about 12oz,

2. 13 point

13 point Well-Known Member

Not sure how much you will need as I just do it in a few pours that said , if you have any chunks or pcs of foam from old forms or altered forms, I always glue them down to save foam , and I will sand or carve for texture and ground break up kinda thing.

3. Frank E. Kotula

Frank E. Kotula master, judge, instructor

Yes there really is no measurements cause we’re not doing production work like big companies do.
    So I just make a good batch first 3-3oz pour see what happens ( wear gloves and use talc on them to control the foam) and from there I may need bigger or small mixes.

4. crablover

crablover Well-Known Member

For a foam base in your dimensions compressed to form a good hard skin, I would start with a half beer cup of A & B. Lay down some plastic, mix your foam and watch for the color change during mixing. Once you see that change, it is mixed and ready to pour. Pour the foam in the basic shape of your base onto the plastic, then press your base material into the foam and wrap the plastic up and around the wood to contain and maximize the foam rise. This will give you little waste, as well as a good skin density. If you need more, just repeat as needed. Hope this helps

Terry Bennett likes this.
  5. Terry Bennett

Terry Bennett Active Member

Idaho
    I thought I was the only one who measured foam with beer cups.

3bears and George like this.
  6. joeym

joeym Old Murphey

Just buy a gallon kit and use until you are finished. You'll use the rest within a year...it gets used up quick in my shop.

woakley144 likes this.
  7. jigginjim

jigginjim Active Member

how do people get their two part foam to be harder?

8. Clew

Clew Help a child, Build our future

York, SC
    Buy a higher density

pir^2h likes this.
  9. pir^2h

pir^2h Retrievers give you the bird

Speaking of density of foam, have any of you used those Ozark Woods forms? I got one from Ohio Taxidermy Supply a while back. That was some really soft foam. It must be an extremely low density foam they are using.

Frank E. Kotula likes this.