1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Seeking Wisdom On 1st Squirrel, Tail Issue.

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by Trappertod, Apr 14, 2021.

1. Trappertod

Trappertod New Member

So my son wants to be a taxidermist, we are taking the class together. He skins his squirrel beautifully and tail pulls from his perfect. I skin mine and do ok, I have learned fur handling through trapping is different from taxidermy. So I get to my tail and it starts to pull until it breaks from having shotgun pellets bound up in it. Instructor advises that to have a good mount we can inject glycerin and drive on with the mount. I still have to flesh and tan the pelt. I will be tanning in krowtann also. I know taxidermist have to be resourceful problem solvers, so I thought I would ask for wisdom as this will probably not be the last time I will encounter this issue. Thanks!

2. 13 point

13 point Well-Known Member

If possible get another tail , alway make sure tail is hydrated and in good shape . But with a little finessing you should get the remaining tail bone out , then just glue it in place when you mount it

msestak likes this.

3. Frank E. Kotula

Frank E. Kotula master, judge, instructor

First off glycerin is not a preservative nor a tan or should be used in keeping the meat on. We do use it in conjunction with formaldehyde and glue to inject Turkey heads and feet. So just hearing this has me questioning your teacher sorry to say on being taught the right and wrong in taxidermy.
    I will cut the tail and finish skinny out that section ( yes a real pain) and sew it up with invisible thread.
    Otherwise as stated use another tail if you can

pir^2h likes this.
  4. Trappertod

Trappertod New Member

Thanks Frank, I was under that impression. From trapping I have learned meat on skin is not a desirable thing. But I am trying to learn along with my son.
    So skinning that section of tail out is something I can do. Do I sew it up before or after I use the krowtann or does it matter?

5. pir^2h

pir^2h Retrievers give you the bird

Right or wrong this is how I do tails. I tan all mammals, including squirrels. After I pull the tail I take a thin piece of wire and make a hole at the very end of the tail. I then take a syringe and inject it into the tail (near the body until the tail fills up and I can get it to spray out the hole I made in the tail. Fill the tail again and let it sit in the tanning solution (EZ-100). I have never had a tail slip on my.

By the way, I also do this for foxes! However, I make a longer incision (~2 inches) then I can force salt all the way to the end of the tail using a thin dowel rod. and proceed with the tanning as usual. Saves me from having to sew up that tail.

6. 13 point

7. pir^2h

13 point - I used to split the tails also but I don't like sewing any more than I have to! Call me lazy!

8. 13 point

I found there is to much fat and grease half way down a foxes tail that I’d rather get out

9. Trappertod

Trappertod New Member

So what do you do when the tail breaks off inside, that is my predicament.

10. Frank E. Kotula

Frank E. Kotula master, judge, instructor

After the tan is best

11. 13 point

As I said with a little finessing you can get it out . Make sure it’s hydrated then pull the skin down till you can get a pair of needles on it and pull it out. And as stated , make sure you inject your pickle or tanning method into tail

12. Trappertod

Trappertod New Member

Thanks for all the input so far guys, you all are a wealth of knowledge and I am thankful you are willing to share.

13. pir^2h

I guess you have no choice but to split it opoen. I never had it happen in the dozen of squirrels I mounted.

14. pir^2h

I clean out what I can and I guess the salt takes care of the rest (or something like that). I have foxes I mounted fifteen, twenty years and the fur never fell out.

15. joeym

joeym Old Murphey

If the tail bone is broken off, simply slit the bottom of the tail for about an inch, just enough that you can get a grip on the tail bone, Then hold it securely (you can use pliers to hold it) and slip the remaining section from the tail. The tail wire slides into the tail, and I sew the short incision after mounting, then seal with super glue sprinkled with borax. I dry preserve squirrels...and most other mammals. When mounted, insert a silicone tube nozzle through the anus and into the tail cavity. Inject silicone slowly. Blowouts can be messy. This creates a nice filled, bushy tail.

16. crablover

crablover Well-Known Member

Stay away from using Glycerin at all on anything in taxidermy, other than preserving plant material It attracts and gets moisture from the air. This is the last thing you want in any animal with organic matter you are trying to preserve. The moisture that comes with using Glycerin causes mold, mildew and the continued breakdown of skin, bone and any form of once living material. It's use with plant preservation is common and works. However, using it on animal matter will cause big issues and problems.