1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Button Buck.

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by tem, Apr 17, 2021.

1. tem

tem Well-Known Member

had a customer bring me a button buck he had mounted years ago. he wants an over haul. not sure if i can find a nother cape. would a small doe work. it's 5 1/2 X 15. its nubs stick out about 1/2 to 1 inch. the cape is beat up good. thank you.

2. Mandi

Mandi Active Member

I'd make absolutely clear he wants a different cape. That may be a sentimental mount.

3. tem

tem Well-Known Member

i told him he might half to get a new cape. he was fine with it. its a little yellowish. he smokes and its been hangen in his house for ever he said. not sure how i would clean it. the left ear is comeing apart from the liner along the top edge. the noes is as smooth as a babys but.

4. 13 point

13 point Well-Known Member

McKenzie has a cleaner for smoked upped mounts. Wet the ear put 5 min epoxy in , and clamp shut till it kicks . Paint and texture nose pad . I wouldn’t recape . A doe’s nose is narrower and no button pockets . JMO

Last edited: Apr 18, 2021
    tem likes this.
  5. Mandi

Mandi Active Member

I agree. I think a decent repair job would be way better than a new cape. For a button buck may as well just do a completely new one. A doe cape won't be right though.

6. joeym

joeym Old Murphey

I didn't know they offered such a product! I'm gonna check that out. I deal with loads of old mounts annually...I hate 'em, but they keep coming in.

tem likes this.
  7. tem

tem Well-Known Member

ya. the doe cape was me thinking crazy. have not had my sugar yet.:). i saw a cleaning kit some ware but could'ent remember ware. he wants me to clean it up the best i can. thank you all for your advice. i will be using it.

8. 13 point

image.jpg image.jpg

9. tem

tem Well-Known Member

thanks 13 point. i new i saw it some ware.

10. 13 point

No problem. Glad to help