1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Tanning/preserving Chicken Skins

Discussion in 'Bird Taxidermy' started by tytostypos, Apr 19, 2021.

1. tytostypos

tytostypos New Member

nc
    So, i will admit i am brand spanking new to taxidermy though i have been doing loads of research lately for the projects i wish to do, one of which is to tan a chicken skin. i dont want to do the whole bird like for full body mounting but i at least want to do the hackle to saddle area to keep the feathers.
    I've been reading all over this site and a few others on ways to tan chickens and just birds in general so that the skin is pliable like a worked rabbit's hide, but from what ive seen its not something many people have tried to do much less have been successful in. i understand a problem with tanning the bird to be like i want is that chickens skin is much more fatty than most birds and that makes things really difficult, but the breeds we have are not eating birds by any means and the breed i really want to get a few skins off is a bantam, they arent nearly as chunky and i dont breed them to be fat so im guessing the fat content on body and skin would be much less than a food bird. my mother also has some gorgeous Sumatra's i would also love to get ahold of when they pass, they also arent chunky birds by any means.
    so my question is do any of you think i could have a better chance at tanning these birds to be pliable and keep the feathers on them at the same time?, since i am a beginner i know its highly unlikely any attempts i make will work at first, especially without info and guidance. but im willing to put the time and effort into this to get it to work and to learn along the way. also if anyone has any info about HOW i would tan the skin i would much appreciate it, everywhere else ive looked people never talk about the actual process and i have no idea on what id do.

A big Thank You to everyone who take the time to read this and possibly respond!!! i much appreciate it :)

2. Wildthings

Wildthings Well-Known Member

Get in touch with "Art of Taxidermy" on Youtube. Falco on here. He tans his birds skins and would probably steer you in the right direction

edited: after a quick search he hasn't been on here for a year. Find him on YT and contact him there or through his website

Johnnyclyde and tytostypos like this.

3. tytostypos

tytostypos New Member

nc
    Thank you so much!!! ill be sure to do so.

4. Sea Wolf

Sea Wolf Well-Known Member

If all you want to do is preserve just sections of feathers, rub in a quantity of powdered Borax and let it dry flat. You may not see a lot of fat in those areas and it can be scraped off with a spoon if you do. The borax will preserve it as well as make it insect proof.

Johnnyclyde and tytostypos like this.
  5. tytostypos

tytostypos New Member

nc
    ahh, i heard that that was a great way to preserve them but i also read that it makes the skin hard and semi brittle. what i want to achive is a flexible skin, like i could wave it around and it would flap and fold and all that. would the borax allow that or no?

6. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

Liqua-cure bird tan from Knoblach's tanning supply. McKenzie has a bird tan.

tytostypos and Johnnyclyde like this.
  7. Sea Wolf

Sea Wolf Well-Known Member

Yeah .. no, the skin would not be that flexible. I don't think any skin just magically comes out flexible like that without breaking. Meaning the work you need to do by hand to "break" the hide by working it over something to make it flexible.

tytostypos likes this.
  8. tytostypos

tytostypos New Member

nc
    Oooo, ill make sure to look into those. thank you for the recommendations!

9. tytostypos

tytostypos New Member

nc
    ohh, i see what you mean, makes sense. ill have to look more into this as well. thank you thank you!!