1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Mistake

Discussion in 'Tanning' started by hoytarcher, Apr 22, 2021.

1. hoytarcher

hoytarcher Member

Iowa
    Ok, I got myself in a rush yesterday with the 4,597 things I need to get done and made a mistake. I have 5 sheep hides soaking in a pickle. With the wool holding so much water, I pulled one from the pickle and let it drip over night so I could shave it the next day. I did this and put it back in the pickle. Wellll.....last night I pull it from the pickle and hung it to drip out the excess water before I put my oil on it and realized I was in such a rush, i didnt neutralize it. Now it is has set overnight and it will sit most of today without being neutralized. Did I just screw up this hide? Or can i just neutralize it when i get home from work?

2. Frank E. Kotula

Frank E. Kotula master, judge, instructor

Back in the pickle only because you might get acid rot .
    Now let’s clarify something here as your not putting oil on it without tanning right?
    You’re using a rub on tan with oil in it.
    These are two different products used in tanning. I static tan and then oil as other use tanning products with oil in it. Tanners hate when we I just put oil on it cause oil doesn’t tan a cape on bit!
    Pickle, drain, neutralize, tan.

3. hoytarcher

hoytarcher Member

Iowa
    I am using the Mckenzie tanning oil. I have used it in the past and got good results. I was just worried about not neutralizing it. It was out of the pickle for a day. I neutralized it as soon as I got home last night.
    T