1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Degreasing Large Elk?

Discussion in 'Skulls and Skeletons' started by MTwelder, Apr 24, 2021.

1. MTwelder

MTwelder New Member

Hey guys just wondering how you guys go about degreasing large elk. What kind of containers have you found that work for you? Also im looking at making a much larger degreasing setup so I can do more at once. Can you post some pictures of the setups that work for you?

2. Sea Wolf

Sea Wolf Well-Known Member

I've done a few elk but, fortunately, one at a time. I found a heavy duty plastic tote that the head fit into. Submersible heater and a small water pump to keep the water moving. If you have more than one, you might be able to get two into one of the larger rubbermaid type trash cans. I have also used those 15 to 30/40 gallon plastic chemical barrels with the tops cut off. Can usually get used ones for free.

steve torna likes this.

3. steve torna

steve torna New Member

Hello from Montana, I recently degreased a huge bull elk skull. The antlers are monstrous, heavy and unwieldy; I had difficulty trying to keep the skull resting in a container. I tied a rope to the antlers and hung it from the ceiling. I lowered it into the vat and it remained stable. I was able to easily seal the container at the level of the rosettes.