1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Using Trubond's Lipa-solve To Degrease Bird Skins?

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by Endermiss, Apr 25, 2021.

1. Endermiss

Endermiss New Member

Ahoy all, currently working on a peacock skin that needs degreasing. I know a lot of folks use Dawn soap and white gas, but I have plenty of lipasolve sitting around and I am wondering if that + some citric acid is safe to use on this pelt.

Any other sugtestions regarding degreasing and (eventually) mounting peacocks would be appreciated.

2. Frank E. Kotula

Frank E. Kotula master, judge, instructor

Yep those products are fine to use.

3. pir^2h

pir^2h Retrievers give you the bird

Tide with Oxi will do a better job degreasing a skin than Dawn! Never did a peacock so I will leave it to others to answer that question!

4. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    Did you already remove the train and tail? I've used dawn successfully on peacock before. I've never tried any of the other stuff on birds, never seen a need to.

5. Endermiss

Endermiss New Member

So far, the train and tail are still on - unfortunately this bird has a hole in the pelt about the size of a dollar bill already (other birds in the coop got to it before I did.) I'm really dreading doing any further damage to it so I am hoping to flesh out the train and whatnot while keeping it attached to the rest of the bird. Is it really necessary to take the train off?

6. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    It makes it more manageable to work, I believe, I've not tried leaving them on and won't, I think I would do more damage with them attached to the skin. I skin and mount them in stages and have had success at it. I start by removing the train, this allows me to flesh between those quills well, there's a ton of tissue in there. I then remove tail and then skin the rest. Wheel and wash everything, If possible I would rather not wash the whole train but rather just the skin. I then take the form and test fit the skin and mark the perimeter of where the trail attaches. Remove skin and then carve out some foam in that area to allow the skin of train quills to set flush with the surrounding areas, I make sure the train is clean and dry and mix us some bondo and spread some in the area you carved out and some between the quills of the train and set it in place and pin it and groom it out while it kicks but just before it kicks solid I remove it from the form with the bondo and set aside. mount the rest of the bird as you would say a turkey or grouse and then reset the train using pins or screws to hold in place and groom and let dry. This method sure makes it easier to transport or move the mount without damaging it. I cannot claim all credit for this method it is my adaptations of advice I received from folks that use to post here often.

Wildthings likes this.
  7. Endermiss

Endermiss New Member

Man almighty, what a ****ing chore I've got for myself here. Thank you for the advice, that helps quite a bit - I am feeling pretty overwhelmed over here but I'll give her a go.

Three quick followup questions:

1. Did you build your own body form o purchase one? Any that you recommend in particular? I had planned to carve one but I don't know that I am at the necessary skill level to swing that + this train reattachment business.

2. Do you remove the marrow from the femurs? Some of the game bird tutorials I have followed suggested this, not sure it's the same for such a large bird.

3. At what point in the process is it safe for me to sew up the pre existing hole in the pelt, without worrying about the skin underneath the stitches rotting?

Thank you again for all your help. This newbie is in over her head.

8. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    1-I ordered from McKenzie body and artificial head but you can use the real skull if you wish.
    2- yes remove marrow from larger bones.
    3- any time is OK to sew holes in bird skin, just be a tad more careful with it after. I typically wait to sew any holes until I am done fleshing and before my final wash and rinses.
    You are welcome.