1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Mini Flesher Guidance

Discussion in 'Tutorials' started by Canadian Trapper, Apr 25, 2021.

1. Canadian Trapper

Canadian Trapper New Member

I just purchased a mini flesher to use on beaver, bear for now and other animals further on. I've been tanning my own pelts for the last year and hoping this would help in this process.
    Is there a place to find video's on using the mini flesher?
    Thanks Canadian Trapper

2. ARUsher

ARUsher Well-Known Member

Youtube. There are several videos on there from David Marqua. He makes it look really easy, but a lot of good tips.

3. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

Someone needs to be honest with you. The mini-flesher is a complete waste of good money on a gimmick that is half-assed at best in what you want to accomplish. If you intend on tanning hide of thin skinned animals with lots of fat, sell that POS as soon as you can find someone gullible enough to buy it. Then invest in a quality fleshing machine.

First, you'll need to have at least a 3hp compressor with a 20 gallon tank AT A MINIMUM. Then wear a face shield and make sure you have walls surrounding you that won't be ruined by oil spray, fat and flesh being splashed on them. Be prepared to take the grinder apart before you start as the blade simply loves grabbing tendrils of flesh and sinew and wrapping it around the spindle under the blade guard. Be VERY CAREFUL of your fleshing beam as the blade can (and will) hit a spot where it chatters while tearing a hole in your hide. I don't care who tells you what a handy device it is to have around. They lie. It will serve you better if you take off that "fleshing rig" and put the adapter of a die grinder on it as it was intended to be.

Rebekkah and jessewild like this.
  4. jigginjim

jigginjim Active Member

I purchased A mini-flesher for thinning down areas after tanning. It has worked on thinning areas rather than a Skife knife. The other areas was thinning areas that where I am sewing. Worked out ok there is a learning curve to using this little machine. My thoughts are it the cape or hide is nearing in a frozen state the the Sinew would not grab the blade.
    I have a two hp 20 gallon tank compressor, it does run alot but I have air quiet compressor (68 decibels) . But I am thinking of a shaving wheel for fleshing and shaving the capes after tanning. Even though I was told the auto-tanners do require shaving, don't trust that.