1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Paint For Taxidermy

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by Thunderstorm, Apr 26, 2021.

1. Thunderstorm

Thunderstorm New Member

Ohio
    Which is better for using in Taxidermy, lacquer based or water based paints? What are the pros and cons of each? For an airbrush and paintbrush.

2. joeym

joeym Old Murphey

Use laquer, wear a respirator, and paint where you have adequate ventilation. You will go crazy trying to paint with water based paint in an airbrush.

GWebb, Richard C, Wally Gator and 3 others like this.

3. pir^2h

pir^2h Retrievers give you the bird

To me and my aging eyesight I don't think water based is a good as lacquer based paints, at least not in the lifetone line.

4. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

The real difference is in the chemistry of lacquer paint readily dying the skin underneath while water based paints simply cover it. I went back and forth for years and always ended up back with lacquer for its ability to layer and remain translucent with multiple coats.

Richard C and pir^2h like this.
  5. Mudbat

Mudbat Well-Known Member

I went from water based to lacquer paint. I’ll never go back. Polytranspar and lifetone water based paint are junk with zero consistency bottle to bottle color wise. Golden brand was the best water base. Cleaning the airbrush when using water base sucks as it gums up the brush. lacquer is just across the board better, better colors, you can actually gloss with out a billion tack coats, some polytranspar no matter how many tack coats the color dissolves, cleaning the brush is super easy.
    Just across the board better in my opinion.

Richard C and pir^2h like this.
  6. byrdman

byrdman Well-Known Member

took a while but have mastered water based latex...trick is in air pressure and retarder best is Wildlife colors.. Laquer fumes are just not worth it to me

7. Thunderstorm

Thunderstorm New Member

Ohio
    I appreciate the fantastic advice everybody, thank you all very very much

8. Bruledrift

Bruledrift Active Member

For me? I started with water based because of ventilation. I am going to be building a shop and add ventilation. The first thing I think I will be doing is going to lacquer paints. I feel the outcome would be better as stated above, the staining affect it has compared to the painted affect. I can use the water based, but it is a struggle especially on fish.

9. whitetails and fish only

whitetails and fish only Well-Known Member

I will add to this that along with these tips I will often strain my paint right before use and I also keep a wet Q-tip handy to swab the tip before I put the air brush down.