1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Taxidermy Mounts Get No Respect!

Discussion in 'Taxidermy History' started by PA, Apr 27, 2021.

1. PA

PA Well-Known Member

I haven't posted here much lately, but thought I would add a small tidbit I found. I have been filling out my collectors lists in the bird database, and I thought I recognized the last name of Hochmuth from the Buffalo Museum of Science. We have three birds from him collected in Ontario, Canadia and one from New York. Searches on Google showed he judged a taxidermy competition once in New York, and was friends with CM taxidermists from whom we got the bird specimens. His son became a Lieutenant who died in Tempe, Arizona attempting to parachute from a crashing plane.

The post here is about a post card showing Bernard Sr. repairing a Buffalo called "Stuffy". It had been on display at a Railroad station and an executive ordered it returned to the museum because the tail and whiskers were pulled out and the mouth used to put out cigarettes and store the butts. Old Bernard was attempting to fix it. Images can be seen here:

Rare Historical Original VTG 1944 Bernard C Hochmuth Stuffy Bison Buffalo Photo | #1819524167 (worthpoint.com)

Allie likes this.
  2. joeym

joeym Old Murphey

We had a moose head in a local seafood restaurant that was a kid magnet. It hung low on the wall, and the little ones would stick their finger in it's nose. The nostrils gave way with time, and I had to rework them. My bill for that job was a seafood meal for me and Mrs. Murphey!

Clew likes this.

3. Clew

Clew Help a child, Build our future

York, SC
    I did two boar heads for a BBQ restaurant
    Kids could barley get to it but loved it
    I replace the lower hairs each year
    But the work I’ve gotten from these two is crazy
    Plus John gives us our meals
    We don’t go often though
    Just because of this

4. NMJagdHunter

NMJagdHunter Ted Wenner

just delivered 3 long horns to the tune of 7k+ . . . going in a barn, not climate controlled . . . it was 107 today, our low this year was -11 I can't even imagine the stress that the temp changes are going to have on them. oh well the check cleared and I said my peace about care.

5. byrdman

byrdman Well-Known Member

some bird mts from John Jerris from the bell museum on the U of Minn campus were handed down to a person on here and should go into a museum ad they were pioneers of full fluffy plumage bird mts