1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Photography: The Beauty Of A Fetal Beaver

Discussion in 'Wildlife Artwork and Crafts' started by KTWolf, Apr 27, 2021.

1. KTWolf

KTWolf New Member

The resident female beaver in our park was attacked twice, the first (coyote or otter, I'd guess) leaving a deep infected wound, and the second (probably a dog) beating her up until she died, probably just stopping her heart from stress/terror. I moved the carcass away from the heavy-traffic area in the park, took the skull to make a display, and did an amateur necropsy, curious about the cause of death.

She was carrying a solo pup, and it was just amazing to look at--so perfect, so beautiful! We took some photos and then donated it to the local Zoological Museum.

I figured this is the ONLY place I can share these photos without at least some people freaking out "Ah, it's a dead baby!" Yes, it is, but it's still something that, without the mother dying, I'd never have been able to see and appreciate. At least she wasn't hit by a car and left to rot at the side of the road! Instead, relieved of her head and intestines, her organs and meat were left exposed to the critters, and I saw a cool turkey-vulture making the most of it a couple days ago.

IMG_1461 (2).jpg

IMG_1463 (2).jpg

IMG_1464 (2).jpg

IMG_1470 (2).jpg

Clew, Jim McNamara, ARUsher and 3 others like this.
  2. Wildthings

Wildthings Well-Known Member

That is cool

3. Mandi

Mandi Active Member

That is actually pretty cool.

4. joeym

joeym Old Murphey

Never seen a fetal beaver before. Very neat. Thanks for sharing!