1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Critique

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by John Stewart, Apr 28, 2021.

1. John Stewart

John Stewart Member

This is the first deer I mounted since completion of school. I would appreciate any critiques anyone is willing to provide.

Attached Files:

2. John Stewart

John Stewart Member

I forgot to add the picture after finish work.

Attached Files:

3. Frank E. Kotula

Frank E. Kotula master, judge, instructor

In reality your on your way to a good career in this field. I’m nit picking on very obvious Problems that can be easily fixed .
    The other question would be your antler set as that might be set a bit leaning forward but it could also be the antlers as I’ve seen them come off like elk.
    All in all well done 8EA57660-F05A-42ED-AC85-F0831573AD22.jpeg 2BFCC580-5615-4F5F-A135-CD7A44AD9488.jpeg A1F7C3DA-3194-4625-8860-4453B945E9C6.jpeg

4. Mike Powell

Mike Powell Well-Known Member

A very clean looking mount overall. The first thing that jumps out to me is the hump on the bridge of the nose right above the white patches. It looks like you used an artificial nose, and it didn’t get lined up. It is very apparent if you zoom in on the profile view.

5. John Stewart

John Stewart Member

Thanks Frank. In all honesty, my antlers were angled back further and I changed it. I felt I was likely going to have problems getting the skin around the back of the burr. I've attached a better picture of the nose. I think the first nose photo is a bit deceptive. Eyes were my weakness in school and I definitely need to practice with my eye sculpting.

Attached Files:

Frank E. Kotula likes this.
  6. John Stewart

John Stewart Member

Good eye! It is an artificial nose and I would have never noticed that. Thanks for pointing that out.

7. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

Not bad at all. I have a feeling that the little things that need attention will get that attention and your next ones will get better and better. I see worse mounts on seasoned "professionals" websites.

8. John Stewart

John Stewart Member

Thank you! Much appreciated.

Tanglewood Taxidermy likes this.
  9. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

If you plan on opening a taxidermy business, even if it is part time, be sure to take business classes. When running a taxidermy business, business classes are far more important than taxidermy classes.

Richard C likes this.
  10. John Stewart

John Stewart Member

I'm currently a police officer due to retire in five years. If it was yesterday it wouldn't be soon enough!! My focus is building clientel and experience at this point so I have something established before I retire. My wife went to school for business. Shes cheap labor. Ha ha! Don't tell her I said that or I'll be looking for more than a new employee.

11. Frank E. Kotula

Frank E. Kotula master, judge, instructor

Yes the nose looks much better but a bit more pink would be nicer in the nose but well done !

John Stewart likes this.