1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Bear Rug Bald Patches

Discussion in 'Lifesize Mammals' started by the grey, Apr 29, 2021.

1. the grey

the grey Member

On some bear rugs in there arm pits there isnt alot of fur, from a distance it looks like bald patches. On some of these i have been airbrushing them with jet black paint. Never had any issues until recently a customer returned unhappy. He said the sun shines from the window in that room and the black i painted on there does not match. I said very politely that the area is the arm pit and doesnt have much hair there. I said i can remove the paint and leave it natural. He said no that isnt the way they are either. I said ok i will come up with something different, maybe some sort of dye? So that is my question, do any of you know of any black dye that would work for this situation. So far i haven't heard of anyone doing anything but leaving it natural. Thanks

2. 13 point

13 point Well-Known Member

Get a can black vinyl spray paint from auto store , it’s made for vinyl roofs for cars , so it gives and takes with conditions . Comes in many colors to include flat black

3. You can also buy leather dye.

4. crablover

crablover Well-Known Member

On a properly done bear rug, the arm pit area should be cut out then stitched closed removing the hairless area under the front legs. You can then dye the cut edges and noticeable skin areas with flank dye powder and alcohol from the back side. This will soak through and permanently color the skin

Richard C and George like this.
  5. Crittrstuffr

Crittrstuffr Active Member

I use black hair dye from McKenzie in a spray can. Spray let dry then wipe down with Hair Sheen. The dye soaks into the leather then the HS cleans the hair. Smells good too

6. the grey

the grey Member

Thanks guys.