1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

New Degreasing Tank

Discussion in 'Skulls and Skeletons' started by drwalleye, Apr 29, 2021.

1. drwalleye

drwalleye Member

I got a new tank this year . I got it bigger so I can fit more in and submerge them all the way including the antlers. I heat it to 120 and have a circulating pump also. I'm usually done with my skulls by April 1, and this year I have a bunch to go yet. I just cant get the grease to come out. the only thing I'm doing different is the bigger tank. temp and dawn are the same. Any thoughts. Thanks Again

2. Sea Wolf

Sea Wolf Well-Known Member

Are you sure the entire tank is 120 degrees? Have you tested the water temp in different zones of the tank? Insulated? Do you have enough Dawn added for the larger quantity of water? .. As a thought, adding in ammonia is not going to hurt and will help.

3. drwalleye

drwalleye Member

I thought with the pump on the bottom of the tank cold spots shouldn't be an issue. But no I did not reach in there at all. Its a 75 gal tank and I put in one small bottle of dawn or half to 3/4 of the bigger size. I think small one was 8 oz.

4. Sea Wolf

Sea Wolf Well-Known Member

Figure the amount to be 1/4 cup per 5 gallons of water. A little more won't hurt. If the pump is moving the water well, cold spots shouldn't be an issue. Do you have a submersible probe that you can check? Even spot check different areas at the top to see if the temp is uniform.

5. drwalleye

drwalleye Member

Im thinking I should be close to the 1/4 cup per gal. Ill look at that closer. I don't really have a probe but I can see the water moving around from the pump. and it is on the bottom so I would think the warm water would go up? and my thermostat tip is 1 inch from the bottom of my tank and I try to keep my skulls toward the bottom. Thanks