1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Mounting First Year Spike In Velvet

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by Dingo.303, Apr 30, 2021.

1. Dingo.303

Dingo.303 Member

sooooo, during the short hog deer season , i lucked out bush stalking an ufortauntly shot a young velvet buck , now i want to mount it an asked one person but here for more opinions on what to do about it.
    ill attatch a photo of the spikes, its all skin.. around the boney bit an the guy at check in station broke one of the spike tips afterwards so il have to fix it up anyway...... i believe there could be a few options but luv to hear what you pros suggest!

[​IMG]

kinda wish it were a Doe, or even just a smaller hard knobbed buck which had a definate coronet but it is what it is, my first elusive Hog deer

2. Jim McNamara

Jim McNamara Well-Known Member

I would cut between the antler burrs and up the pedicles to where the velvet starts. I would cut around the pedicles from underneath the hair so as to not cut the hair off. Once the area is opened up I would use a oscillating saw to cut the skull cap off and remove. Skin the deer head and your ready to prep and tan. Either use your method of preserving the velvet or freeze dry it.
    I imagine there are other ways and perhaps someone will chime in with a much better way to do this.

msestak likes this.