1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Tannery Switching Elk Capes.

Discussion in 'The Taxidermy Industry' started by John C, May 1, 2021.

1. I recently bought a XXXL elk cape late season kill from a friend in Arizona. He and I personally looked the cape over in my shop. We punch marked the cape in the area if the elks left ear butt. Fleshed salted. this cape was a perfect cape from an old mature bull. Easy 38 inch neck. The largest I have ever seen! Super just super! The Bull Score 399 and change.

Sent it to a top name tannery, Not one I normally use but highly recommended.

Got a cape back, not the same cape. Of course I called and was told its the same cape they shrink sometimes. Yes I know that but you never loose 12 inches on a elk cape. I got a 26 inch cape back.

NOT ONE PUNCH MARK EITHER!!

I know for a fact they swapped capes no doubt.

Just a warning it can happen.

2. 13 point

13 point Well-Known Member

Who’s the tannery?

3. I'm not going to say at this time.. Client is considering some legal action against them.
    This is why I mentioned where the punch marks are, hoping someone may have received it and noticed.

4. Keith

Keith Well-Known Member

What did the tannery say when you told them about the punch marks?

pir^2h likes this.
  5. James Marsico

James Marsico Well-Known Member

Did you soak it up yet? A dry tan elk cape that is 26 inches can go a foot wider easily when properly soaked. The punch marks may be impossible to find until soaked and pulled open.

Richard C likes this.
  6. The tannery says no way was it switched.
    I mentioned it was punched and of course they never saw anyone punch one in the ear but area.

James wet tanned!

7. James Marsico

James Marsico Well-Known Member

I've had a tannery in Idaho switch bison capes on me. So it happens. I have been tagging through the ear butts since 1970 and punch near the ears on the neck. That's how I was taught and how I have taught everyone that has ever worked for me and that is a lot of now taxidermists on thier own. . It does suck alot to be screwed over and lied to..

8. pir^2h

pir^2h Retrievers give you the bird

The tannery probably believes there was no switch of the capes. Those people in the office most likely don't know what is going on the in the back room. Even if they did know they are not going to admit to it because that would make them liable to replace it. (My $0.02 worth)

It sucks! I would look for another tannery if that happened to me.

John C likes this.
  9. 13 point

13 point Well-Known Member

Who is the tannery?

10. Clovis Point

Clovis Point Active Member

As someone who shipped 20 deer hides to a commercial tannery in Illinois for the first time ever this year I am praying nothing bad happens to my customers critters...