1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Help: Large Saddle Blanket Identification

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by SnyderPA, May 3, 2021.

Tags:
  1. SnyderPA

SnyderPA New Member

I have a huge what someone called a saddle blanket.
    Fur is like a chocolate color
    Fur is maybe an inch long.
    Feels thin and light.
    About 5 feet by 3 feet.
    Very heavy with thick blanket sewn to back.
    Doesn’t appear to be multiple pelts put together...
    I was thinking an elk or moose?
    Any help.
    Thanks 3D4C5F17-CAF7-4CCF-B715-B088C71F0316.jpeg F85EA187-1157-4204-A86F-4FB09619221A.jpeg 3D4C5F17-CAF7-4CCF-B715-B088C71F0316.jpeg F85EA187-1157-4204-A86F-4FB09619221A.jpeg 9E29A289-10DC-4308-B3CC-552F8B0D834A.jpeg F7E3BBC8-0A7C-4A8F-BDF9-E1660C71A64C.jpeg

2. Rausch

Rausch Well-Known Member

Not elk or moose. Maybe horse

3. 13 point

13 point Well-Known Member

I’d say horse

4. SnyderPA

SnyderPA New Member

Thanks for the replies...
    So would it be used as a saddle blanket? Would you put a horse on a horse?:)

5. Mudbat

Mudbat Well-Known Member

Could be horse but as a horse owner it really doesn’t look like horse hair to me. Specially the color.

Last edited: May 3, 2021
  6. joeym

joeym Old Murphey

It looks like a rug made from a horse hide to me. A saddle blanket is usually cotton or wool, made to protect the horse from chafing by the saddle, and to absorb sweat.

7. Mike Powell

Mike Powell Well-Known Member

Not a saddle blanket...the hair would wear off quickly. It’s a a rug - horse or cow hide I would think.

8. SnyderPA

SnyderPA New Member

So good chance it is horse...?
    The underside material is shown in one pict. If saddle blanket, that would be down to horse body?

9. Rausch

Rausch Well-Known Member

That would be my vote although I agree it doesn’t look quite right.

10. Mudbat

Mudbat Well-Known Member

To me it doesnt lay right for a horse. Summer horse hair is shorter and in the winter the hair is longer like that but very fluffy. Also looks to thick . And I don’t know of a breed that gets that color

11. Sea Wolf

Sea Wolf Well-Known Member

Firstly, it is not .. and never was a "saddle blanket". It was never made to be put on any horse or other animal. It is a rug. Made to put on the floor or hang on a wall (if there are rings on the back side of it. Look for one of the longer hairs up around the neck area and pull it out to look at it closely. Is the hair a solid strand or is it hollow? You will have to be able to really see well to tell if the strand has a hollow center. I don't think it is a horse because typically they leave the mane on it. Picture of it flat on the floor so you can see the whole thing? It may very well be cowhide.

12. 13 point

13 point Well-Known Member

I’m pretty sure them calling it a saddle blanket , was not because it’s to be used as such . But a name for the hide of the area a saddle would cover on a horse kinda thing . Not the whole horse hide .

Mandi and Rausch like this.
  13. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

Looks bovine to me.