1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Tanning Oil

Discussion in 'Tanning' started by Crook's Art, May 3, 2021.

Tags:
  1. Would like opinions of which is best tanning oil with safest chemically environmentally.

2. Sorry, my fingers got tongue tied.

3. Frank E. Kotula

Frank E. Kotula master, judge, instructor

Are you talking rub on tans with oil added to it or static tanning and using an oil for that? Yes confusing isn’t it!
    Those of us who static tan ( proper tanning which tanneries do) use oils to give us stretch, better flexibility etc.
    Rub on tans and not all have oils added to them so you don’t have to mix up and apply later.
    So the best rub on tans are those that need little to no mixing. There consider stable tans and will give you the best tan for taxidermy. ( liqua-tan, tru-bond 1000B Pro1 ) are three of the top favorites for this.
    Now if your rub on tan needs to be mixed extensively, then you better do that cause you may never properly tan the cape and may have issues.
    So in retrospect they all work and we all have our favorite tans which only can be and get confusing cause you’ll hear it all as I like this and I like that. It’s up to you to try and find out what works best for you!

Tanglewood Taxidermy likes this.
  4. Which ones are environmentally safe?

5. Frank E. Kotula

Frank E. Kotula master, judge, instructor

Those that aren’t using heavy metals are safe and that’s just about most.
    The safest to use are rub on tans since you have no reason to dump any product. Static tans need to be neutralized prior to dumping.