1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

How Do I Know If A Marlin Is Really , Or A Replica . How Can I Find Out The Value Of A Marlin?

Discussion in 'Buyers and Sellers' started by Lynn DeMattei, May 3, 2021.

1. crablover

crablover Well-Known Member

Lynn, that is a Blue Marlin but it is a terrible representation of a real fish. If you just tap on the mid side, a replica will sound hollow. If it is a mounted with real parts of the fish, it will sound muffled. You can also tell by the weight of the mount. This is a typical pose often seen in pelagic species, but is inaccurate as to the body shape and arch. The paint job looks nothing like a Blue Marlin and the colors are all wrong. As per value, it is not worth much based on the paint job, and if it is a replica which I feel it is, a new paint job would increase the value and be much easier to sell. Just trying to give you an honest opinion to your question. Hope this helps, and have a great day

Richard C and goosehunter1733 like this.

2. Clew

Clew Help a child, Build our future

York, SC
    Hello Lynn
    This is a fiberglass reproduction
    I did this very same blank
    And yes a good paint job will increase the value from a fisherman
    But from someone wanting a fish not knowing a natural paint job it would sale as well
    I would list it at $28 per inch

3. Thank you very much for your honest opinion . That helps a great deal.

4. T
    Thank you , that's helpful.

5. byrdman

byrdman Well-Known Member

better paint job than a lot of mass produced

6. Mudbat

Mudbat Well-Known Member

How much did you buy it for?
    If you wanna sell it id recommend going a lot lower then 28. Some of the best fish guys in the world are only a few dollars more per inch for their work. If you really wanna sell it go somewhere in the 15-20 per inch range.