1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Black Beatles - How To Get Rid Of Them

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by buzfly, May 4, 2021.

Tags:
  1. buzfly

buzfly New Member

I have a problem with Black Beatles and the brow larva. They have infested some of my deer-tails. My tails have been deboned, scraped, salted/Borax and then washed with detergent and a small amount of bleach then laid out flat to dry. They are then sorted and stored in totes until they are bagged and ready for sale/use.

I have tried all different bug killers and can not get rid of them. I have soaked them in hot water, salt and a little bleach. No luck. I think I have them under control then boom they are back.

The Beatles are either all Black or all Black with a tan stripe across the back. The larva is a brown color. They eat the hides and leave a brown/tap powder(poop is my guess) behind.

I just want them to go away.

Any help or suggested reading/resources I should be looking at.

Thank you for your help
    Brad

2. byrdman

byrdman Well-Known Member

larder beetles....they will find any protien....put camfer blocks in your totes or crushed bay leaves

3. buzfly

buzfly New Member

Thank you for the reply. I will give it a tray. As soon as I think I have them under control another batch pops up.

4. Sea Wolf

Sea Wolf Well-Known Member

Could also be dermestids. Are the larva hairy looking? Best you can do is find and buy the "No Pest Strips" and put one in each of your containers. Borax should kill them but apparently not. Once dry, you could also dust them with dog flea powder on both sides. Just before selling, knock off any residual powder.

Your bigger problem is that they are also in your home/shop. That is where they are coming from. Open up all your cabinets and invest in some good flea bombs. Raid makes excellent ones that actually use smoke canisters. Find those and do your entire shop and home .. even your cellar.