1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Great Tip Per Cost

Discussion in 'The Taxidermy Industry' started by 13 point, May 13, 2021.

1. 13 point

13 point Well-Known Member

Had to share this , so today I got and old deer head mount brought in , the client wanted it completely redone . So it’s just a little 8 point he killed in 1966 with his grandfather when he was 16 or so . Recape on plaque , his bill came to $1070 . I ask for a $400 deposit which he gave in cash , I filled his receipt out and handed it to him , then he said here this is for you , I’ll pay balance when I pk mount up . I said thanks, but you don’t have to do that . He said I want to . Mind you he is a new client and he was dropping off not picking up . I left it laying there said goodbye and walked him out . When I came back in shop I pked it up and counted it , I like to fall over $500 cash . Biggest tip I’ve ever gotten , 50% tip on a job I haven’t even done yet . Unreal my kinda client.

D.Price, tem, msestak and 8 others like this.
  2. Keith

Keith Well-Known Member

Nice tip.

Hopefully there isn't a misunderstanding that it's not going toward the deposit and really is a tip.

msestak likes this.

3. 13 point

No , no misunderstanding he made sure I had the paperwork done after he gave me the $400 deposit and then said, I’ll pay balance when it’s ready , in the mean time this is for you . He said I like to take care of people that take care of me .

msestak, Lance.G, Keith and 1 other person like this.
  4. pir^2h

pir^2h Retrievers give you the bird

I would like clients like that!

msestak likes this.
  5. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

I did have customers like that.

msestak likes this.
  6. Dave York

Dave York Well-Known Member

I’d knock that guys mount out as soon as I could.

7. joeym

joeym Old Murphey

Awesome! My largest tip ever was $50.00 from an African-American attorney.

8. WLELTD

WLELTD Active Member

some guy told me to plant my corn early

Lance.G likes this.
  9. 13 point

Here’s the deer mount drying for said tip . On top of that he called me last week and ask if I could deliver it to his place , he is bout 40 miles away from me , I told him of course he then said great I’ll give you $400 to deliver and hang it above my fire place for me , lol wish I had more clients like this.LOL found a real nice double white throat cape for him . 040A1F97-735D-4E86-9922-ED1114793367.jpeg BA583A9E-551A-481B-8A5F-394A8D00511B.jpeg

James Marsico, Keith, Lance.G and 2 others like this.
  10. joeym

joeym Old Murphey

Awesome! He should be well pleased! Plus, You finished it in less than 2 months!

Keith, msestak and 13 point like this.
  11. Keith

Keith Well-Known Member

Money is a great motivator.

joeym likes this.
  12. Clovis Point

Clovis Point Active Member

I offered to meet a client at Cabelas in the town where he lived (about 45 min from me, but on my way to where I was going) and he tipped me $150... and that was on a $400 mount. So proportionately thats pretty close to $500 on a $1070. The first year I was open to the public I was only asking $50 for euros mounted on whiskey barrel heads and had a customer who had a massive awesome trophy room with LS rams, mt lions, black bear plus a Buffalo shoulder, several elks and Muleys. He was the uncle of a friend and the friend wanted me to see his trophy room so I delivered when it was finished and when he saw it he gave me a $100 bill and told me to raise my prices. So I did lol.

msestak likes this.
  13. 13 point

Done delivering on Saturday 25A62ED2-9EA6-4431-9920-39E6FCCBBC21.jpeg 02BE30E4-E22A-4176-9249-772FAF560AEF.jpeg 785764A5-E21C-45D4-95E4-E7B33B1F3005.jpeg

ARUsher and Keith like this.
  14. crablover

crablover Well-Known Member

Nice clean work Glen

13 point likes this.
  15. 13 point

Just dropped off and hung . Gave me $1100 on a $670 bal wow so he basically pd me 2 grand gotta love it EE337A1B-3CE7-40CA-BE6C-2A27CE57ADDF.jpeg

16. livbucks

livbucks Well-Known Member

I was going to comment on that mount in the other thread. His generosity paid in spades. It brought something extra out in you. Your work is always top notch but that mount is definitely "one of those ones".

Keith likes this.
  17. 13 point

Thank you , I greatly appreciate it

18. Clew

Clew Help a child, Build our future

York, SC
    Nice job