1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Bobcat Help (face Slippage)

Discussion in 'Lifesize Mammals' started by dmac1175, May 19, 2021.

1. dmac1175

dmac1175 Well-Known Member

I know this is probably not feasible and probably actually foolish to ask, but....
    I accidentally left the bobcat hide out after splitting and turning everything. I meant to mix up the krowtan and put it in it but I laid it aside and forgot about it for a few days actually.
    I went ahead and put it in the tan just to see.
    I pulled it out today and neutralized the hide.
    Not to bad I thought once I started washing it and rinsing it.
    After a bit of rinsing I noticed some slippage taking place on the face.
    My question is this.
    Can I take the head off of a different cat and sew it to the original cat? Would it be noticeable?

2. WLELTD

WLELTD Active Member

yes, you can do that, if they are similar in color you will not notice

Tanglewood Taxidermy likes this.

3. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

I redid a bobcat head. I wrapped the head in a damp towel until pliable, cut the head skin around the neck, redid the head form, redid the eyes and ears and thinned the face skin and fleshed better. The taxidermist that originally did it, did not split anything. I split the lips and eyes on the skin and did the nose. Then I glued the head back on. I didn't even sew the head. Just glued it to the form and pinned it at the seam with the body skin. Looks as good today as it did when I did it years ago. It helped that the head skin was the same as the body skin.

Westcoast likes this.
  4. joeym

joeym Old Murphey

#1 rule in taxidermy. Never, never cut the lights off without making sure their is nothing on your worktable that will spoil. A second #1 rule is to check around every freezer to make sure nothing has been set outside while you are pillaging through the freezer.

dmac1175, 3bears, Westcoast and 3 others like this.
  5. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

This also applies to rearranging venison in the freezer in the garage. I learned the lesson the hard way.

Mandi and joeym like this.
  6. Mandi

Mandi Well-Known Member

I put a pack of venison on the dryer one time and it got covered by a towel. I thought something huge had died in my laundry room.

Tanglewood Taxidermy likes this.
  7. dmac1175

dmac1175 Well-Known Member

Thanks for the replies. Gives me the confidence to go for it.

8. WLELTD

WLELTD Active Member

four big crappies make a big smelly soup still looking for a replacement