1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

First Mount

Discussion in 'Bird Taxidermy' started by William Manuel, May 21, 2021.

1. William Manuel

William Manuel New Member

This is my first mount and I wanted to know what i can improve on for my next birds. Thanks in advance!

upload_2021-5-21_9-25-21.jpeg

I think the body I used was a little too big and the feet are a bit too dark. These are the main two things i would do different with this mount.

benp, pir^2h and spurhunter like this.
  2. drob

drob Active Member

Haven't done that many ducks but I think it looks good.Buddy of mine just finished a similar mount/ He hung the dead birds up before skinning them to see how they should look.They looked very natural when mounted !

pir^2h likes this.

3. Crittrstuffr

Crittrstuffr Active Member

If the skin closed without much issue the body was close to right, not sure why you think to big but with birds a little smaller is better. The feet on a pintail are dark on the bottom and lighter on the top which i can't see. So from the picture great job

pir^2h and William Manuel like this.
  4. Wildthings

Wildthings Well-Known Member

Just a few things I'm nitpicking on. Otherwise very nice. (1) His left foot looks like it has the wrong bend in it. Could just be picture angle. (2) the angle of the dangle is off a little. gravity won't let the head hang to the side but it will hang straight down. (3) personally I would like a little of the chest/cape area to be turned in flow with the head. It looks to me like everything is straight down and all of a sudden the neck twists. hope that makes sense. (4) why is the eye open on a dead bird. not saying it can't be but more realistic to me closed.

You need to check out the Louisiana Taxidermy Assoc. they just had their convention, which I missed, and heard there were some great things there

Last edited: May 26, 2021
    pir^2h likes this.
  5. Westcoast

Westcoast Active Member

Body is out of position for the pose and I don’t think that the open mouth looks natural. Otherwise not bad for your first. Definitely better than my first