1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Turkey Fan Mount Problems

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by Dczymmek, May 22, 2021.

1. Dczymmek

Dczymmek Member

Hello, I was hoping I could get some advice on fixing a turkey fan mount. I shot this bird a few weeks ago. Cut fan off, cleaned meat off, boraxed and pinned between sheets of cardboard. Come to find out while drying some of the pins came out and now the fan is dried in the wrong position (not fully spread). Is there anyway at all to soften and redo the whole process? It was my first Turkey so id really like to fix it if possible. Thank you!

2. cmead

cmead New Member

Water will rehydrate it, but Id recommended only trying to hydrate the skin/quill bases rather that getting the entire fan wet

Tanglewood Taxidermy likes this.

3. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

I agree with this. If you ever try using Bondo, there is no drying time. Just Bondo the quills in place and you are done.

I recently started doing it a different way. I separate each feather from skin and butt area by pulling the feathers one by one and totally clean each quill and the arrange them the way they should go and blue tape them down and Bondo into place. It looks like a bunch of feather ink pins laying on my bench. Do not get them mixed up or you will have a really fun time trying to figure it out.

byrdman likes this.
  4. 13 point

13 point Well-Known Member

As Tanglewood said but I use 5 min epoxy as it goes around quills better for me

5. joeym

joeym Old Murphey

I clean off all the meat and borax. Then, I spread them on 1" thick foam board using T-pins to place them correctly. A piece of cross-stitch grid is pinned over the top to make it dry flat. Allow to dry at least 2 weeks before removing.

6. Dczymmek

Dczymmek Member

Great, thank you all. I will try to rehydrate it then use bondo/epoxy to redo it. Thanks again!

7. Tanglewood Taxidermy

How I get the Bondo to get between the quills easier is to put plastic down under the fan, put the Bondo on the top of the quills and wrap the plastic over the top and work the Bondo down through the quills with my fingers over the plastic. I leave the plastic until the Bondo sets. The blue tape keeps the fan from getting distorted.

I'm always wanting to try new things, so I think I'll try the 5 minute epoxy.

8. Tanglewood Taxidermy

I also flip it over and Bondo the backside too. It takes very little Bondo on the backside.

9. 13 point

13 point Well-Known Member

Don’t need to flip with 5 min or and I like for tails is the 90 second epoxy. I do it this way as I can do a tail and give it back to the client on the same day if I want . I’ve literally did a tail while the guy waited lol .

Tanglewood Taxidermy likes this.