1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Lost A Clients Bones

Discussion in 'Skulls and Skeletons' started by Mouse17, May 22, 2021.

1. Mouse17

Mouse17 New Member

I was commissioned to clean a few tiny reptile skeletons (gecko, salamander) and I’ve lost some of the bones. The skulls and the bulk of them are there, but they’re missing some feet, ribs etc and the gecko is missing half the mandible. I sifted through the beetle tank for an hour looking for them but for the life of me I can’t find them. I feel terrible and don’t know how to tell the client, I can’t refund them because it was a trade (I got a mouse and a starling in exchange). I can’t make replicas of the missing bones either, they’re way too small. What should I do?

2. 13 point

13 point Well-Known Member

Just be honest, and tell your client. But are you positive they were there to begin with?

3. Sea Wolf

Sea Wolf Well-Known Member

Have to tell them ... and go back and comb the beetle tank again. For stuff with tiny bones like this and fragile things, don't ever put the specimen in the tank. Take a plastic container that will hold the specimen and hand select smaller larva from the tank and put them in there with it. You still need to watch carefully and remove larva or parts as they get stripped.

4. Mouse17

Mouse17 New Member

Thanks everyone. I ended up doing a full cleanout of the tank but they still didn't show up. I told the client and they were very understanding, and i've made changes to how I run my beetle tank to ensure it doesn't happen again. The client wasn't positive they were even there to begin with, as they came to me skinned and dried.

No more bones in the bedding for me lol, I made an elevated wooden platform to put food on. Now bedding stays clean and bones don't get mixed up.

joeym likes this.
  5. joeym

joeym Old Murphey

Nothing is more fun than sifting through frass looking for bones and teeth...at least, in our exciting world!

6. Sea Wolf

Sea Wolf Well-Known Member

Those little suckers will drag small bones off of that too. Make sure you have at least some sort of edge to make it difficult to run off with parts.