1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Free Foam Air For Sculpting Eye Rings

Discussion in 'Bird Taxidermy' started by mike I, May 22, 2021.

1. mike I

mike I New Member

Try as I might, I cannot get apoxie sculpt to adhere to the eye or even the eye ring of any bird. I have tried new apoxie sculpt, heating in micro wave, mixing and letting it sit for a few minutes, using a damp brush to apply. I watched Cory Cruther's video and still can't get it done. Has anyone used Smooth On free foam air for eye rings? I was told that it adheres well to the eye. Giving up on apoxie sculpt. thanks

2. Jim McNamara

Jim McNamara Well-Known Member

magicmick likes this.

3. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

I use Apoxie Safety Solvent to get Apoxie Sculpt really tacky. I don't do Apoxie Sculpt eye rings, but, you might want to give it a try. You can get it at the supply companies.

4. byrdman

byrdman Well-Known Member

I use a mix of red acrylic paint and plain carpenters glue... paint on lid and entire eye , let set up a bit then scrape outward and model lids( easier to do than describe)

5. BrookeSFD16

BrookeSFD16 Well-Known Member

Are you doing your eyerings before hand, or after the bird is mounted?

6. mike I

mike I New Member

Thanks all,
    Brooke, on wood ducks I have tried both ways . This time I am trying to put rings (lids) on a male pheasant after mounting and I can't get it to stick no how. Did you ever use the free form air for rings or lids?

7. joeym

joeym Old Murphey

A pictorial of that would be great. I've gotta try it!

3bears likes this.
  8. byrdman

after... allways use real skull/bill beaks

9. BrookeSFD16

BrookeSFD16 Well-Known Member

I've never tried doing eyerings after. I do them on all my retail birds. I use regular black Epoxy Sculpt and roll out a big worm of it, wrap the eye and use a euro pin to sculpt the ring, then scrape off the excess. Then I brush Modge Podge on the backside.

I use free form air a lot..but I've never tried it for eyerings.

10. mike I

mike I New Member

thanks everyone for helping. I have plenty of suggestions to work on.

11. byrdman

you know there is plenty of products at your local hardware store with excellent tack, including :rock hard,plastic wood, two part epoxy ribbons.You dont need speacial “ taxidermy” products... just find domestic stuff that works

BrookeSFD16 likes this.
  12. byrdman

and save shipping too....lol