1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Most Recent Skull

Discussion in 'Skulls and Skeletons' started by AlpineValleyTaxidermy, May 22, 2021.

1. AlpineValleyTaxidermy

AlpineValleyTaxidermy Active Member

This is a coyote skull I got from a roadkill. Most of the skull had been nature cleaned already, but there was still some rotting stuff on it. I peroxided it and degreased it. I don’t have all of the teeth unfortunately. But to be honest it’s one of my best looking skulls when it comes to color. What do you guys think? 99DDEE1C-F361-4D7B-988B-44C59597DBD1.jpeg 5A2D7AA5-22B3-42F2-A501-3566196586AE.jpeg 904310EF-E1C7-4734-921A-8F140CCECEF8.jpeg

Tnrandy and drob like this.
  2. garlicsalt

garlicsalt Member

Great.

3. Sea Wolf

Sea Wolf Well-Known Member

Natural bone color looks better than blinding white in my opinion. If you go back and comb the spot where you found the skull, the teeth will be there. They loosened and fell out while decomposing but they will not be far from where the skull was sitting.

4. steve torna

steve torna New Member

Montana
    More important than color is the presence/preservation of the delicate nasal conchae and processes that characterize each skull. Unless it is a rare specimen, I won't even consider a skull that is devoid of nasal turbinates. Having said that, I agree with Sea Wolf, I prefer natural bone color and dislike paper white/over processed skulls. Many skulls in my collection are discolored in some way. I never try to process them; I love the different patinas and uniqueness that they represent. The only time I process a skull is to degrease; I rarely bleach them at all. Your coyote skull looks great!

5. AlpineValleyTaxidermy

AlpineValleyTaxidermy Active Member

Thanks guys!